Heroes save mum and daughter from Great Harwood fire

Heroes save mum and daughter from Great Harwood fire

OUR HERO Elizabeth Knighton, with dog Midge

FIRE The house

HERO David Emmett

First published in Pendle

TWO have-a-go heroes have been praised for coming to the rescue of a mum and her teenage daughter after a vacuum cleaner caught fire at their Great Harwood home.

Marie Knighton, 41, and 13-year-old daughter Elizabeth, who attends St Augustine’s RC High School in Billington, have praised the actions of their neighbours, and said they owe their lives to them.

The pair were asleep at their Masefield Close house when they were awoken by the smoke alarm at around 10.30pm.

Thick black smoke was billowing upstairs, trapping them inside the house, when the vacuum cleaner at the bottom of the stairs caught fire.

She and her daughter fled to the spare bedroom where they screamed for help from the window.

Neighbour David Emmett, 19, heard their cries for help from his bedroom and ran to their rescue.

Grabbing a ladder from the kitchen, he went to help. His neighbour Sean Hartley also came to the women’s aid.

Marie, a carer at the Hollies Nursing Home, said: “David and Sean are our heroes. You can’t put into words how grateful we are. All I can say is thank you. They were very brave. They saved our lives. We had crawled into the back bedroom where the window opens fully. We were just shouting ‘help, help’.

“We thought we were going to die. Elizabeth was on the phone to the emergency services while the smoke was pouring into the room.

“We felt enormous relief when we saw them coming to help.”

The family’s dog Midge, a 13-year-old dachshund, was trapped inside the house and rescued by firefighters.

David said: “Me and Sean ran over the gardens with the ladder and I climbed up to rescue them.

“When they were both safe on the ground, they kept thanking me and hugging me.

“It was my automatic reaction. Anyone would have done the same.”

Lee Cook, crew manager from Hyndburn fire station, said: “The men have saved the occupant’s lives by their actions. It’s a very courageous thing they have done.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:37pm Wed 12 Dec 12

gazza1980 says...

That's my old house!!!

I grew up there from newborn to age 20. When I think of all the times my elder brother almost torched the place by coming home drunk, putting the chip pan on, then promptly falling asleep!

Glad everyone is OK
That's my old house!!! I grew up there from newborn to age 20. When I think of all the times my elder brother almost torched the place by coming home drunk, putting the chip pan on, then promptly falling asleep! Glad everyone is OK gazza1980
  • Score: 0

12:54pm Wed 12 Dec 12

woolywords says...

Smoke detectors save the day, again...

And we won't forget to uplug the Xmas lights when we go to bed, will we?

Well done, lads. Santa should take note of your heroic actions...
Smoke detectors save the day, again... And we won't forget to uplug the Xmas lights when we go to bed, will we? Well done, lads. Santa should take note of your heroic actions... woolywords
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree