Lancashire TelegraphHuncoat woman burns legs as laptop catches fire (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Huncoat woman burns legs as laptop catches fire

A WARNING has gone out to laptop users after a woman burned her leg when her computer caught fire.

Firefighters were called to a house in Bluebell Way, Huncoat, at 11.10am yesterday where they extinguished the machine, which had been resting on the woman’s knee while being used.

Hyndburn watch manager Phil Whittaker said: “The laptop burst into flames and scolded the young woman on the knee.

She refused medical treatment, but we gave her a gel to help with the stinging.

“It also burned a big hole in the carpet from where she dropped the machine in shock.

“These types of fires are more common than people think.

It is very important that laptops are used on hard surfaces and are well-ventilated, especially when they are plugged into the mains.”

Related links

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:40pm Thu 28 Jul 11

disillusioned says...

....and scolded the young woman on the knee.
Really?
So although it was on fire it had enough sense to give the ladies knee a really good telling off. What a fantastic computer!
Unless of course it scAlded the woman on the knee which is something totally different and removes my thought that this really was a fantastic piece of technology.
Of course if it did scald here on the knee one wonders why a laptop was full of hot water or steam in order to inflict a scald.
Maybe the Citizen's journalists should stick to simple words, like burn, perhaps?
....and scolded the young woman on the knee. Really? So although it was on fire it had enough sense to give the ladies knee a really good telling off. What a fantastic computer! Unless of course it scAlded the woman on the knee which is something totally different and removes my thought that this really was a fantastic piece of technology. Of course if it did scald here on the knee one wonders why a laptop was full of hot water or steam in order to inflict a scald. Maybe the Citizen's journalists should stick to simple words, like burn, perhaps? disillusioned
  • Score: 0

5:02pm Thu 28 Jul 11

masterdebater.co.uk says...

You'd think that someone pointing out other's errors would check their own post.
You'd think that someone pointing out other's errors would check their own post. masterdebater.co.uk
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Sat 30 Jul 11

Graham Hartley says...

Laptop batteries contain liquid, so it's possible that scalding was caused by leaking hot liquid. Also molten plastic could scald.
.
As ever, the report could explain more so that the rest of us need not.
Laptop batteries contain liquid, so it's possible that scalding was caused by leaking hot liquid. Also molten plastic could scald. . As ever, the report could explain more so that the rest of us need not. Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree