Owner ordered to convert Oswaldtwistle house back into a stable

Planners have ordered that this home be turned back into a stable.

Planners have ordered that this home be turned back into a stable.

First published in Hyndburn

A MAN has been told to turn his home back into a stable after he lost an appeal against Hyndburn Council.

Terrence Ashworth, who had converted a stable at Town Bent Allotments, in Oswaldtwistle, into a bungalow-style home with a fully-furnished kitchen and garden area, has been given six months to find somewhere new to live.

Mr Ashworth had appealed against a notice from the council issued in August last year, which said he had breached the original planning permission he had obtained in 2008 to build stables.

Although he was allowed to construct the stables, permission had not been granted for them to be lived in.

Hyndburn Council gave Mr Ashworth 28 days to remove the chimney and alarm system from the property, take down wooden decking that had been constructed, and turn it back into a stable.

Mr Ashworth appealed against the council’s notice, claiming that because the work had been carried out on the property more than four years before the notice date, no action could be taken.

The appeal was considered by Jean Russell, from the planning inspectorate, who decided that because no evidence of the date the original work had been done had been provided, the appeal could not stand.

She also concluded that maintaining the property, which is on Green Belt land, as a home was inappropriate for the area.

In a planning inspectorate report, she said: “Even if the building does incorporate something of the former stable, I find that major reconstruction took place.

“The dwelling is only in existence and occupied because of the works such as rebuilding of walls.

“The domestic use of land associated with the dwelling causes a loss of openness in the Green Belt and conflicts with the purposes of incl-uding land in Green Belts.”

Mr Ashworth has been given six months to complete the alterations and move out of the building.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:03am Fri 13 Apr 12

Lifeinthemix says...

my good man get very savy with this :

https://www.lifeinth
emix.info/british-la
w/british-law-green-
card/

The council on the one hand fuss over housing while allowing filth to take root in the town centre.....
my good man get very savy with this : https://www.lifeinth emix.info/british-la w/british-law-green- card/ The council on the one hand fuss over housing while allowing filth to take root in the town centre..... Lifeinthemix
  • Score: 0

9:12am Fri 13 Apr 12

tntoast says...

he as got what he deserves did he think that the council are so thick to think that a stable with a chimney was warming horses ha
he as got what he deserves did he think that the council are so thick to think that a stable with a chimney was warming horses ha tntoast
  • Score: 0

9:28am Fri 13 Apr 12

useyourhead says...

so he built it ages ago then applied for planning for stables and got it four years ago, i presume no site visit can have been made then or they would have rumbled him at the planning stage, since it must already have been a dwelling then.
so he built it ages ago then applied for planning for stables and got it four years ago, i presume no site visit can have been made then or they would have rumbled him at the planning stage, since it must already have been a dwelling then. useyourhead
  • Score: 0

9:41am Fri 13 Apr 12

happycyclist says...

No problem with big developers building hundreds of houses on green land near Whalley though, eh?
Why can he not apply for retrospective planning permission in the same way that certain sections of the community seem to be able to do with impunity?
No problem with big developers building hundreds of houses on green land near Whalley though, eh? Why can he not apply for retrospective planning permission in the same way that certain sections of the community seem to be able to do with impunity? happycyclist
  • Score: 1

9:45am Fri 13 Apr 12

New World Order. says...

Should have rebuilt it in stone and just pointed it up.The regulation pebbledashing make's in look like a chavy highercroft kitchen extension in the middle of nowhere.
Should have rebuilt it in stone and just pointed it up.The regulation pebbledashing make's in look like a chavy highercroft kitchen extension in the middle of nowhere. New World Order.
  • Score: 0

9:47am Fri 13 Apr 12

tntoast says...

or put a onion on top
or put a onion on top tntoast
  • Score: 0

9:49am Fri 13 Apr 12

greenscreener says...

Sounds like a fairly involved attempt to break the rules the rest of us have to follow.

Where do you think you are Man ? France ?
Sounds like a fairly involved attempt to break the rules the rest of us have to follow. Where do you think you are Man ? France ? greenscreener
  • Score: 0

9:54am Fri 13 Apr 12

useyourhead says...

I don't know the area in question well, are there sewers and power there?
I don't know the area in question well, are there sewers and power there? useyourhead
  • Score: 0

9:55am Fri 13 Apr 12

Lifeinthemix says...

FIRST POINT OF CALL.

demand from the council the document they claim you signed giving consent to be governed by the statutes they are forcing down your neck, fail to produce means you have not consented to be governed by them as such you are not....

and let us say they do pull some magic document from the cauldron, then make sure you understand you are not a legal person to whom the paperwork relates.

Statutes are not the law, they are never the law, they only carry the force as if law should you first agree to be gverned by the rules as if force of law, and only the fictitious legal person is then bound by the statutes.

Are you a legal person or an Englishman, you decide....
FIRST POINT OF CALL. demand from the council the document they claim you signed giving consent to be governed by the statutes they are forcing down your neck, fail to produce means you have not consented to be governed by them as such you are not.... and let us say they do pull some magic document from the cauldron, then make sure you understand you are not a legal person to whom the paperwork relates. Statutes are not the law, they are never the law, they only carry the force as if law should you first agree to be gverned by the rules as if force of law, and only the fictitious legal person is then bound by the statutes. Are you a legal person or an Englishman, you decide.... Lifeinthemix
  • Score: 0

9:59am Fri 13 Apr 12

Your ferret stinks says...

tntoast wrote:
or put a onion on top
Exactly put a green onion on top which is in keeping with the allotments and they will back down immediately.
Whilst i don't agree with what this guy has done it is absolutely incredible that different parts of the community are treated totally different from the other part.
Now that's invoking people to stand up and get counted.
[quote][p][bold]tntoast[/bold] wrote: or put a onion on top[/p][/quote]Exactly put a green onion on top which is in keeping with the allotments and they will back down immediately. Whilst i don't agree with what this guy has done it is absolutely incredible that different parts of the community are treated totally different from the other part. Now that's invoking people to stand up and get counted. Your ferret stinks
  • Score: 0

10:08am Fri 13 Apr 12

New World Order. says...

Your ferret stinks wrote:
tntoast wrote:
or put a onion on top
Exactly put a green onion on top which is in keeping with the allotments and they will back down immediately.
Whilst i don't agree with what this guy has done it is absolutely incredible that different parts of the community are treated totally different from the other part.
Now that's invoking people to stand up and get counted.
Sir:Do you mean if this had been a muslim prayer room that planning permission would have been irrelevant.?
[quote][p][bold]Your ferret stinks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tntoast[/bold] wrote: or put a onion on top[/p][/quote]Exactly put a green onion on top which is in keeping with the allotments and they will back down immediately. Whilst i don't agree with what this guy has done it is absolutely incredible that different parts of the community are treated totally different from the other part. Now that's invoking people to stand up and get counted.[/p][/quote]Sir:Do you mean if this had been a muslim prayer room that planning permission would have been irrelevant.? New World Order.
  • Score: 0

10:17am Fri 13 Apr 12

burner says...

He does and it would have been !
He does and it would have been ! burner
  • Score: 0

10:20am Fri 13 Apr 12

onlyonesimongarner says...

RED ONION OR GREEN ONION would have been the only question
RED ONION OR GREEN ONION would have been the only question onlyonesimongarner
  • Score: 0

11:31am Fri 13 Apr 12

happycyclist says...

Could he not claim to be a horse?
Could he not claim to be a horse? happycyclist
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Fri 13 Apr 12

disgusted tunbridge wells says...

Put a couple of wheels on it and say you are a traveller
Put a couple of wheels on it and say you are a traveller disgusted tunbridge wells
  • Score: 0

2:14pm Fri 13 Apr 12

I_Love_Mommy says...

Order the planners to wrap up and get a life !!
Order the planners to wrap up and get a life !! I_Love_Mommy
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Fri 13 Apr 12

Your ferret stinks says...

New World Order. wrote:
Your ferret stinks wrote:
tntoast wrote:
or put a onion on top
Exactly put a green onion on top which is in keeping with the allotments and they will back down immediately.
Whilst i don't agree with what this guy has done it is absolutely incredible that different parts of the community are treated totally different from the other part.
Now that's invoking people to stand up and get counted.
Sir:Do you mean if this had been a muslim prayer room that planning permission would have been irrelevant.?
Not exactly! But it does seem that there is always a case for retropective planning permission being granted or certainly a good case put forwards for it to be re-assessed with a veiw that it can remain as is, to keep the status-quo and not incite any tension.
If i was this guy i would certainly seek the legal clarity between what denotes a place of dwelling, is it a chimney? a kitchen? a toilet?
I know people who have fantastic allotments and cabins which are home from home who brew beer, sit in an armchair watching tv with a roaring pot belly stove on the go, and yes with a chimney! occassionally sleeping there when they've had too much. Are we saying these people also need planning permission?
[quote][p][bold]New World Order.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Your ferret stinks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tntoast[/bold] wrote: or put a onion on top[/p][/quote]Exactly put a green onion on top which is in keeping with the allotments and they will back down immediately. Whilst i don't agree with what this guy has done it is absolutely incredible that different parts of the community are treated totally different from the other part. Now that's invoking people to stand up and get counted.[/p][/quote]Sir:Do you mean if this had been a muslim prayer room that planning permission would have been irrelevant.?[/p][/quote]Not exactly! But it does seem that there is always a case for retropective planning permission being granted or certainly a good case put forwards for it to be re-assessed with a veiw that it can remain as is, to keep the status-quo and not incite any tension. If i was this guy i would certainly seek the legal clarity between what denotes a place of dwelling, is it a chimney? a kitchen? a toilet? I know people who have fantastic allotments and cabins which are home from home who brew beer, sit in an armchair watching tv with a roaring pot belly stove on the go, and yes with a chimney! occassionally sleeping there when they've had too much. Are we saying these people also need planning permission? Your ferret stinks
  • Score: 0

4:17pm Fri 13 Apr 12

Symboy21 says...

Class yourself as a traveller, do what you want with the building and then the council will spend millions and take fifteen years to change it, as per Dale Farm etc
Class yourself as a traveller, do what you want with the building and then the council will spend millions and take fifteen years to change it, as per Dale Farm etc Symboy21
  • Score: 0

5:33pm Fri 13 Apr 12

New World Order. says...

Symboy21 wrote:
Class yourself as a traveller, do what you want with the building and then the council will spend millions and take fifteen years to change it, as per Dale Farm etc
Obviously not a person who bother's about were our tax money is spent. "wanna buy a onion"?
[quote][p][bold]Symboy21[/bold] wrote: Class yourself as a traveller, do what you want with the building and then the council will spend millions and take fifteen years to change it, as per Dale Farm etc[/p][/quote]Obviously not a person who bother's about were our tax money is spent. "wanna buy a onion"? New World Order.
  • Score: 0

10:43pm Fri 13 Apr 12

superdad1 says...

Tell them you are a traveller and you need some where to live. The travellers have got away with it on Sough lane Guide for four years now they ripped up green belt land put down 100's of tonnes of hardcore and moved on static caravans and have put up buildings in green belt land and now more travellers have descended on a field on Moss Lane Stanhill and put up a big toilet block/ wash room which was supposed to be a stable block and the good old Hyndburn Council do not want to throw these people off ??
Typical the honest working tax paying people of Britain suffer again in this bureaucratic society.
Tell them you are a traveller and you need some where to live. The travellers have got away with it on Sough lane Guide for four years now they ripped up green belt land put down 100's of tonnes of hardcore and moved on static caravans and have put up buildings in green belt land and now more travellers have descended on a field on Moss Lane Stanhill and put up a big toilet block/ wash room which was supposed to be a stable block and the good old Hyndburn Council do not want to throw these people off ?? Typical the honest working tax paying people of Britain suffer again in this bureaucratic society. superdad1
  • Score: 0

7:49pm Sat 14 Apr 12

nice person says...

New World Order. wrote:
Symboy21 wrote:
Class yourself as a traveller, do what you want with the building and then the council will spend millions and take fifteen years to change it, as per Dale Farm etc
Obviously not a person who bother's about were our tax money is spent. "wanna buy a onion"?
Tax money has gone on enough onions.
[quote][p][bold]New World Order.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Symboy21[/bold] wrote: Class yourself as a traveller, do what you want with the building and then the council will spend millions and take fifteen years to change it, as per Dale Farm etc[/p][/quote]Obviously not a person who bother's about were our tax money is spent. "wanna buy a onion"?[/p][/quote]Tax money has gone on enough onions. nice person
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree