AN elderly man was led to safety after a bin caught fire at his house.

Fire crews were called to Butler Street in Rishton, at around 6.40pm last night.

A fire service spokesman said the fire had started because a lit cigarette had been thrown into a bin.

He said: "The man did not suffer any injuries but was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital as a precaution.

"There was minor smoke damage caused to a downstairs room.

"The man had managed to pick up the bin, get it to the kitchen, and pour water over it."