A FIRE broke out at a former Indian restaurant in Oswaldtwistle yesterday afternoon.

Two fire crews from Accrington attended the scene in Haslingden Old Road shortly after 12.55pm after receiving reports of smoke coming from the roof of the former Usha Restaurant, which is currently undergoing renovations.

A defect in the chimney caused smoke from a fire, which was reportedly started by contractors in the building, to spill out into the roof causing the fire to spread. The fire caused serious structural damage to the beams and also burned a hole through the roof.