Row over pedestrianisation plan for Accrington town centre

First published in Hyndburn Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Education reporter

A ROW has broken out over a council’s decision to drop their own public consultation into pedestrianising a key town centre site.

Former Hyndburn mayor Malcolm Pritchard has slammed Hyndburn Council after discovering the authority will not hold talks with traders and residents over proposals for Blackburn Road in Accrington town centre.

However council leader Miles Parkinson said it would be ‘silly’ to hold a separate consultation when the county council’s highways team will do so as standard practice.

Though Hyndburn Council had initially agreed Coun Pritchard’s lobbying for a consultation exercise, they have since made a U-turn. Coun Parkinson said that on investigation, the idea would simply ‘duplicate workloads’.

However, Coun Pritchard, a county councillor for Accrington North said he feared plans to Close off Blackburn Road and fully pedestrianise the area in front of Accrington Town Hall would be ‘steam rollered’ through by the borough council.

He said: “My fear is that they have made up their minds about making it a pedestrianised square. They have already put in a Heritage Lottery Bid for the plans. Many people feel this plan, rather than opening up the route, will cut off traffic to certain shops. The traders feel totally left out of everything when I speak to them.

“It doesn’t matter that the county council is the highways authority. If Hyndburn Council are putting these plans into effect, then they are the ones who need to be speaking to people about it.” Lisa Milburn, owner of Blackburn Road’s Extreme Designer Wear, said she and neighbouring businesses would be calling for more meetings with the council.

She said: “Most customers coming from out of town have absolutely no idea how to get to this part of town because there are dead ends everywhere.

“Traders do need to speak to those behind these plans. Leaving it to Lancashire County Council is silly because they don’t live here.”

Coun Parkinson however said the decision was efficient. He said: “The county are the highways authority - it is their role to do this.

“It would be silly for the district council to duplicate something that is already being done. Everyone will be consulted on the plans, not just Blackburn Road but changes to the town centre as a whole.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:51pm Thu 21 Feb 13

mavrick says...

Who could honestly take County councillor Pritchard seriously. Did he not support this idea less than 12 months ago? I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference to Accrington centre.
Who could honestly take County councillor Pritchard seriously. Did he not support this idea less than 12 months ago? I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference to Accrington centre. mavrick
  • Score: 1

8:27pm Thu 21 Feb 13

doggydog says...

i thought that the types of traffic was already restricted there anyway,,,,,,,well except for taxi,s cars,motor bikes, in fact its used like a normal road anyway despite the restrictions now!Ban them all and make it safe for the walking public!
i thought that the types of traffic was already restricted there anyway,,,,,,,well except for taxi,s cars,motor bikes, in fact its used like a normal road anyway despite the restrictions now!Ban them all and make it safe for the walking public! doggydog
  • Score: 0

9:00pm Thu 21 Feb 13

wrinkles says...

When the Planning Department blocks off roads to traffic and the parks & gardens plonk planters in roads do they ever think about emergency access for the Fire Brigade?
When the Planning Department blocks off roads to traffic and the parks & gardens plonk planters in roads do they ever think about emergency access for the Fire Brigade? wrinkles
  • Score: 4

9:17pm Thu 21 Feb 13

happycyclist says...

wrinkles wrote:
When the Planning Department blocks off roads to traffic and the parks & gardens plonk planters in roads do they ever think about emergency access for the Fire Brigade?
Of course not. They don't think, period.
[quote][p][bold]wrinkles[/bold] wrote: When the Planning Department blocks off roads to traffic and the parks & gardens plonk planters in roads do they ever think about emergency access for the Fire Brigade?[/p][/quote]Of course not. They don't think, period. happycyclist
  • Score: 6

9:25pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Stop Backenders says...

These councillors are out of control; in their canary wharf officers they are arrogant, self-ruling out of touch with the public and will not take into account of any partitions or objections that people put in concerning any big developments. They answer to no one and do not have a clue on how to get Accrington back on its feet they are killing the town of with their foolish thinking and shameful waste of money
There needs to be an investigation into the planning department of this town because something does not add up. The people of Hyndburn need to wake up and see how they are destroying Accrington.
Why was the cost of bulldozing and replacing the bus station to no men’s land, not put in the Telegraph? Because they do not want, you to know “well its millions of pounds of tax payer money and that’s just the start”.
Part of that money could have employed Hundreds of local teenagers helping to refurbish the old bus station not to waste on an over extravagant bus Station on the wrong side of town.
How much will the shuttle bus service cost taking the old age pensioners and shoppers from Peel Street the centre of town to the new bus station on no men’s land that is a joke in its self.
Why are around 12 councillors sitting around a table allowed to pass this over extravagant disgusting waste of money on a matter, which concerns everybody, “they have lost touch with reality?”
Why are they moving the bus station from the centre of town to no men’s land because they have lost the plot they are living in a different world.
More one-way streets and traffic congestion on the way by the planning department, Remember when you could drive both ways into town and how busy it was before they started meddling with the road system that’s the damage they are doing with their bright ideals.
What have you planned for the old bus station, could it be a wind farm when there is no more room on the once unspoilt moors?
Have you managed to work out yet, that these Wind Turbines will increase the price of every person’s electric bill in the future to regain the cost of these so-called green energy blots on the landscape projects that is a load of spin from the government to make money wake up?
Tell you what why not pass planning permission for a Grave Yard to replace the bus station on peel street I’m sure you won’t make a ****-up of that.
These councillors are out of control; in their canary wharf officers they are arrogant, self-ruling out of touch with the public and will not take into account of any partitions or objections that people put in concerning any big developments. They answer to no one and do not have a clue on how to get Accrington back on its feet they are killing the town of with their foolish thinking and shameful waste of money There needs to be an investigation into the planning department of this town because something does not add up. The people of Hyndburn need to wake up and see how they are destroying Accrington. Why was the cost of bulldozing and replacing the bus station to no men’s land, not put in the Telegraph? Because they do not want, you to know “well its millions of pounds of tax payer money and that’s just the start”. Part of that money could have employed Hundreds of local teenagers helping to refurbish the old bus station not to waste on an over extravagant bus Station on the wrong side of town. How much will the shuttle bus service cost taking the old age pensioners and shoppers from Peel Street the centre of town to the new bus station on no men’s land that is a joke in its self. Why are around 12 councillors sitting around a table allowed to pass this over extravagant disgusting waste of money on a matter, which concerns everybody, “they have lost touch with reality?” Why are they moving the bus station from the centre of town to no men’s land because they have lost the plot they are living in a different world. More one-way streets and traffic congestion on the way by the planning department, Remember when you could drive both ways into town and how busy it was before they started meddling with the road system that’s the damage they are doing with their bright ideals. What have you planned for the old bus station, could it be a wind farm when there is no more room on the once unspoilt moors? Have you managed to work out yet, that these Wind Turbines will increase the price of every person’s electric bill in the future to regain the cost of these so-called green energy blots on the landscape projects that is a load of spin from the government to make money wake up? Tell you what why not pass planning permission for a Grave Yard to replace the bus station on peel street I’m sure you won’t make a ****-up of that. Stop Backenders
  • Score: 9

8:56am Fri 22 Feb 13

mavrick says...

Stop Backenders wrote:
These councillors are out of control; in their canary wharf officers they are arrogant, self-ruling out of touch with the public and will not take into account of any partitions or objections that people put in concerning any big developments. They answer to no one and do not have a clue on how to get Accrington back on its feet they are killing the town of with their foolish thinking and shameful waste of money
There needs to be an investigation into the planning department of this town because something does not add up. The people of Hyndburn need to wake up and see how they are destroying Accrington.
Why was the cost of bulldozing and replacing the bus station to no men’s land, not put in the Telegraph? Because they do not want, you to know “well its millions of pounds of tax payer money and that’s just the start”.
Part of that money could have employed Hundreds of local teenagers helping to refurbish the old bus station not to waste on an over extravagant bus Station on the wrong side of town.
How much will the shuttle bus service cost taking the old age pensioners and shoppers from Peel Street the centre of town to the new bus station on no men’s land that is a joke in its self.
Why are around 12 councillors sitting around a table allowed to pass this over extravagant disgusting waste of money on a matter, which concerns everybody, “they have lost touch with reality?”
Why are they moving the bus station from the centre of town to no men’s land because they have lost the plot they are living in a different world.
More one-way streets and traffic congestion on the way by the planning department, Remember when you could drive both ways into town and how busy it was before they started meddling with the road system that’s the damage they are doing with their bright ideals.
What have you planned for the old bus station, could it be a wind farm when there is no more room on the once unspoilt moors?
Have you managed to work out yet, that these Wind Turbines will increase the price of every person’s electric bill in the future to regain the cost of these so-called green energy blots on the landscape projects that is a load of spin from the government to make money wake up?
Tell you what why not pass planning permission for a Grave Yard to replace the bus station on peel street I’m sure you won’t make a ****-up of that.
I am afraid you have vented your spleen on the wrong people. The decision for the bus station to be relocated was ultimately a county council decision, Yes the local council was consulted. The people of the borough who were against this and the pennine reach bus lane were completely ignored. I have said many times that in my opinion way the only way to regenerate the town centre is through the expansion of the market. I think your rant against local councillors is totally unjustified. If they had the answers don't you think they would have done something about the situation? As for the wind turbines I think you will find the government would have allowed this to happen despite what we would like. I am one of the many who have not been convinced by the great green con.
[quote][p][bold]Stop Backenders[/bold] wrote: These councillors are out of control; in their canary wharf officers they are arrogant, self-ruling out of touch with the public and will not take into account of any partitions or objections that people put in concerning any big developments. They answer to no one and do not have a clue on how to get Accrington back on its feet they are killing the town of with their foolish thinking and shameful waste of money There needs to be an investigation into the planning department of this town because something does not add up. The people of Hyndburn need to wake up and see how they are destroying Accrington. Why was the cost of bulldozing and replacing the bus station to no men’s land, not put in the Telegraph? Because they do not want, you to know “well its millions of pounds of tax payer money and that’s just the start”. Part of that money could have employed Hundreds of local teenagers helping to refurbish the old bus station not to waste on an over extravagant bus Station on the wrong side of town. How much will the shuttle bus service cost taking the old age pensioners and shoppers from Peel Street the centre of town to the new bus station on no men’s land that is a joke in its self. Why are around 12 councillors sitting around a table allowed to pass this over extravagant disgusting waste of money on a matter, which concerns everybody, “they have lost touch with reality?” Why are they moving the bus station from the centre of town to no men’s land because they have lost the plot they are living in a different world. More one-way streets and traffic congestion on the way by the planning department, Remember when you could drive both ways into town and how busy it was before they started meddling with the road system that’s the damage they are doing with their bright ideals. What have you planned for the old bus station, could it be a wind farm when there is no more room on the once unspoilt moors? Have you managed to work out yet, that these Wind Turbines will increase the price of every person’s electric bill in the future to regain the cost of these so-called green energy blots on the landscape projects that is a load of spin from the government to make money wake up? Tell you what why not pass planning permission for a Grave Yard to replace the bus station on peel street I’m sure you won’t make a ****-up of that.[/p][/quote]I am afraid you have vented your spleen on the wrong people. The decision for the bus station to be relocated was ultimately a county council decision, Yes the local council was consulted. The people of the borough who were against this and the pennine reach bus lane were completely ignored. I have said many times that in my opinion way the only way to regenerate the town centre is through the expansion of the market. I think your rant against local councillors is totally unjustified. If they had the answers don't you think they would have done something about the situation? As for the wind turbines I think you will find the government would have allowed this to happen despite what we would like. I am one of the many who have not been convinced by the great green con. mavrick
  • Score: -9

12:10pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Stop Backenders says...

mavrick wrote:
Stop Backenders wrote:
These councillors are out of control; in their canary wharf officers they are arrogant, self-ruling out of touch with the public and will not take into account of any partitions or objections that people put in concerning any big developments. They answer to no one and do not have a clue on how to get Accrington back on its feet they are killing the town of with their foolish thinking and shameful waste of money
There needs to be an investigation into the planning department of this town because something does not add up. The people of Hyndburn need to wake up and see how they are destroying Accrington.
Why was the cost of bulldozing and replacing the bus station to no men’s land, not put in the Telegraph? Because they do not want, you to know “well its millions of pounds of tax payer money and that’s just the start”.
Part of that money could have employed Hundreds of local teenagers helping to refurbish the old bus station not to waste on an over extravagant bus Station on the wrong side of town.
How much will the shuttle bus service cost taking the old age pensioners and shoppers from Peel Street the centre of town to the new bus station on no men’s land that is a joke in its self.
Why are around 12 councillors sitting around a table allowed to pass this over extravagant disgusting waste of money on a matter, which concerns everybody, “they have lost touch with reality?”
Why are they moving the bus station from the centre of town to no men’s land because they have lost the plot they are living in a different world.
More one-way streets and traffic congestion on the way by the planning department, Remember when you could drive both ways into town and how busy it was before they started meddling with the road system that’s the damage they are doing with their bright ideals.
What have you planned for the old bus station, could it be a wind farm when there is no more room on the once unspoilt moors?
Have you managed to work out yet, that these Wind Turbines will increase the price of every person’s electric bill in the future to regain the cost of these so-called green energy blots on the landscape projects that is a load of spin from the government to make money wake up?
Tell you what why not pass planning permission for a Grave Yard to replace the bus station on peel street I’m sure you won’t make a ****-up of that.
I am afraid you have vented your spleen on the wrong people. The decision for the bus station to be relocated was ultimately a county council decision, Yes the local council was consulted. The people of the borough who were against this and the pennine reach bus lane were completely ignored. I have said many times that in my opinion way the only way to regenerate the town centre is through the expansion of the market. I think your rant against local councillors is totally unjustified. If they had the answers don't you think they would have done something about the situation? As for the wind turbines I think you will find the government would have allowed this to happen despite what we would like. I am one of the many who have not been convinced by the great green con.
At the end of the day, they voted to pass the plans for this bus station so the buck lies with them if they are too spineless to vote against it they should not be in the job.
Pennine reach has a lot to answer for as well they seem to be running everything today with their stupid ideals they cause more traffic congestion with their bus lanes and won’t be happy until they have painted all the roads with their stupid ideals. Its amoral and shameful the amount of money wasted on these projects.
Remember all the thousands of pounds spent wasted to see how much a bus lane would save in travel time to get from Oswaldtwistle in to Accrington was it 9 minutes anybody with common sense could have told them that for free and that it would not work.
So tell me this who is running these Towns, is it the Council, Pennine Reach or the big companies behind these wind farms. Its all money wasted and disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves for not speaking up about this, if as you say they do not have a say in this.
They have got a mouth and could make a big statement about this but choose not to for god’s sake has nobody in the Council got any dignity or self respect to stand up for the rights of Accrington or is it they prefer to be kept on a dog lead so they get their goodies and treats.
[quote][p][bold]mavrick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stop Backenders[/bold] wrote: These councillors are out of control; in their canary wharf officers they are arrogant, self-ruling out of touch with the public and will not take into account of any partitions or objections that people put in concerning any big developments. They answer to no one and do not have a clue on how to get Accrington back on its feet they are killing the town of with their foolish thinking and shameful waste of money There needs to be an investigation into the planning department of this town because something does not add up. The people of Hyndburn need to wake up and see how they are destroying Accrington. Why was the cost of bulldozing and replacing the bus station to no men’s land, not put in the Telegraph? Because they do not want, you to know “well its millions of pounds of tax payer money and that’s just the start”. Part of that money could have employed Hundreds of local teenagers helping to refurbish the old bus station not to waste on an over extravagant bus Station on the wrong side of town. How much will the shuttle bus service cost taking the old age pensioners and shoppers from Peel Street the centre of town to the new bus station on no men’s land that is a joke in its self. Why are around 12 councillors sitting around a table allowed to pass this over extravagant disgusting waste of money on a matter, which concerns everybody, “they have lost touch with reality?” Why are they moving the bus station from the centre of town to no men’s land because they have lost the plot they are living in a different world. More one-way streets and traffic congestion on the way by the planning department, Remember when you could drive both ways into town and how busy it was before they started meddling with the road system that’s the damage they are doing with their bright ideals. What have you planned for the old bus station, could it be a wind farm when there is no more room on the once unspoilt moors? Have you managed to work out yet, that these Wind Turbines will increase the price of every person’s electric bill in the future to regain the cost of these so-called green energy blots on the landscape projects that is a load of spin from the government to make money wake up? Tell you what why not pass planning permission for a Grave Yard to replace the bus station on peel street I’m sure you won’t make a ****-up of that.[/p][/quote]I am afraid you have vented your spleen on the wrong people. The decision for the bus station to be relocated was ultimately a county council decision, Yes the local council was consulted. The people of the borough who were against this and the pennine reach bus lane were completely ignored. I have said many times that in my opinion way the only way to regenerate the town centre is through the expansion of the market. I think your rant against local councillors is totally unjustified. If they had the answers don't you think they would have done something about the situation? As for the wind turbines I think you will find the government would have allowed this to happen despite what we would like. I am one of the many who have not been convinced by the great green con.[/p][/quote]At the end of the day, they voted to pass the plans for this bus station so the buck lies with them if they are too spineless to vote against it they should not be in the job. Pennine reach has a lot to answer for as well they seem to be running everything today with their stupid ideals they cause more traffic congestion with their bus lanes and won’t be happy until they have painted all the roads with their stupid ideals. Its amoral and shameful the amount of money wasted on these projects. Remember all the thousands of pounds spent wasted to see how much a bus lane would save in travel time to get from Oswaldtwistle in to Accrington was it 9 minutes anybody with common sense could have told them that for free and that it would not work. So tell me this who is running these Towns, is it the Council, Pennine Reach or the big companies behind these wind farms. Its all money wasted and disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves for not speaking up about this, if as you say they do not have a say in this. They have got a mouth and could make a big statement about this but choose not to for god’s sake has nobody in the Council got any dignity or self respect to stand up for the rights of Accrington or is it they prefer to be kept on a dog lead so they get their goodies and treats. Stop Backenders
  • Score: 9

8:30pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Fingerbang says...

A waste of time, money and thinking
A waste of time, money and thinking Fingerbang
  • Score: 4

11:14pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Venomp says...

The roads should all be opened to traffic.

Ever since the closures of roads businesses are having to be shut.

As for the bus station relocation, well the above comments reflect this.
Probably the traders or users of the market are expressing their anger.

Rather the council act on the above or face a diminished Accrington town centre and make the users travel elsewhere.
The roads should all be opened to traffic. Ever since the closures of roads businesses are having to be shut. As for the bus station relocation, well the above comments reflect this. Probably the traders or users of the market are expressing their anger. Rather the council act on the above or face a diminished Accrington town centre and make the users travel elsewhere. Venomp
  • Score: 4

2:14pm Sat 23 Feb 13

CLM2671 says...

Fingerbang wrote:
A waste of time, money and thinking
here here!
[quote][p][bold]Fingerbang[/bold] wrote: A waste of time, money and thinking[/p][/quote]here here! CLM2671
  • Score: 4

8:00pm Sat 23 Feb 13

Stop Backenders says...

Venomp wrote:
The roads should all be opened to traffic.

Ever since the closures of roads businesses are having to be shut.

As for the bus station relocation, well the above comments reflect this.
Probably the traders or users of the market are expressing their anger.

Rather the council act on the above or face a diminished Accrington town centre and make the users travel elsewhere.
Why have they shut the roads in the first place because they were doing such a good job and we cannot have that can we.
Think about this I am not saying this is true, but why does Pennine Reach have a say on all these developments. What do they have to do with Accrington, maybe they are getting ready with their pot of paint to get revenge for being told to get on their bike from the protesting residents of Oswaldtwistle?
[quote][p][bold]Venomp[/bold] wrote: The roads should all be opened to traffic. Ever since the closures of roads businesses are having to be shut. As for the bus station relocation, well the above comments reflect this. Probably the traders or users of the market are expressing their anger. Rather the council act on the above or face a diminished Accrington town centre and make the users travel elsewhere.[/p][/quote]Why have they shut the roads in the first place because they were doing such a good job and we cannot have that can we. Think about this I am not saying this is true, but why does Pennine Reach have a say on all these developments. What do they have to do with Accrington, maybe they are getting ready with their pot of paint to get revenge for being told to get on their bike from the protesting residents of Oswaldtwistle? Stop Backenders
  • Score: 5

6:45pm Mon 4 Mar 13

Malcolmp says...

Dear mavrick
I wish you would get your comments correct regarding me. I have never voted in the last 12 months for this to be closed off in front of the Town Hall and Market Hall. In fact I have always said I want this to remain open
I would appreciate an apology for your inaccurate comments . In future please get your comments correct before broadcasting incorrect ones.
Yours sincerely Malcolm Pritchard County Councillor Accrington North
Dear mavrick I wish you would get your comments correct regarding me. I have never voted in the last 12 months for this to be closed off in front of the Town Hall and Market Hall. In fact I have always said I want this to remain open I would appreciate an apology for your inaccurate comments . In future please get your comments correct before broadcasting incorrect ones. Yours sincerely Malcolm Pritchard County Councillor Accrington North Malcolmp
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree