Clayton-le-Moor security guard spots smoke coming from machine

First published in Hyndburn

AN eagle-eyed security guard spotted a small smouldering fire in a pallet-breaking machine at a Clayton-le-Moors business.

Hyndburn fire crews were called to Supreme Pallets, at Junction 7 Business Park, in Clayton-le-Moors, after reports of a smouldering fire at 2am yesterday.

Crew manager Steven Hartley said: “It was a wood cutting machine that had a build-up of saw dust.

The damage was contained to just the machine, but it was a lucky spot by the security guard. He stopped what could have been a larger incident. The machine had been used during the day and had overheated.

“It had burnt away overnight before being spotted by the security guard.”

David Parkinson, owner of the company, said: “Nothing caught fire. It was just the saw dust that was smouldering. There was sight of smoke, which is why the fire service were called. I’m pleased that the security guard spotted it. That’s what we pay security for.

“The maching is back up and running again.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree