Rishton residents evacuated in smoke scare

First published in Hyndburn

HOMES were evacuated after a pan was left over heat in a block of flats.

Smoke filled the apartment building, in Rishton’s High Street, after the kitchen fire in one residence, just before 1am on Tuesday.

Crews from Hyndburn Fire Station evacuated several homes, and broke into the property to extinguish the blaze. Firefighters said leaving a pan unattended could have easily cost lives in nearby flats.

Watch manager Liam Barker said: “Never leave a pan unattended. When we received the call, it was reported that people were inside.

“We had to evacuate several flats, with people having to flee their homes while we located the problem. We found a pan left unattended on a hob.

“This could have easily been much worse, especially if the fire had taken hold, and others had been asleep.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree