When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Falls team offers bone advice
6:00pm Friday 15th June 2012 in Health
A DRIVE is on to boost the health of people’s bones across East Lancashire.
About 30 per cent of over-65s and 50 per cent aged over 80 fall every year.
From Monday until June 23, the East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust’s Community falls team will be holding advice sessions on avoiding fractures.
They will highlight the importance of exercise and a balanced diet rich in calcium, while also getting enough Vitamin D through sunshine to build and maintain healthy bones.
They will demonstrate activities, which can range from taking a walk to Tai Chi.
The team will be available to check and change walking stick ferrules at the following events:
- Tuesday, from 9.30am to 3pm at Clitheroe Market;
- Wednesday, from 9.30am to 2.30pm at Burnley Centre (bandstand area)
- Thursday, from 10am to 3pm at Rawtenstall ASDA
- Friday, from 9.30am to 2.30pm at Accrington Market
- Saturday, June 23 from 10am to 2pm at Colne ASDA For further information on how to prevent falls, call the team on 01200 420678.