When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Ribble Valley farmer died from E.Coli after holiday in India
A RIBBLE Valley farmer died after contracting E.Coli from contaminated food he ate on holiday in India, an inquest heard.
Michael Alpe, 81, had been on holiday with his wife Jean visiting cities including Delhi and Jaipur when he started suffering from diarrhoea.
But his condition deteriorated after he flew back to the UK at the end of March.
Mr Alpe, who had four sons and 10 grandchildren, was admitted to the Royal Blackburn Hospital and under-went surgery to remove a large part of his bowel.
He was transferred to the intensive care unit and was put on a ventilator.
He died on May 17 from multiple organ failure and septicaemia caused by E-Coli and ischemic and hypertensive heart disease.
The inquest heard that Mr Alpe, who was still an active farmer at New Laund Farm, Whitewell, had been a 'fit and healthy man'. Mrs Alpe said her husband hadn't eaten any food outside the hotels they stayed in. She said: “We went to India with Saga and we thought we were well looked after. We had four lovely hotels, the food was properly prepared and we always had bottled water in our rooms."
She said her husband and other holiday guests devel-oped diarrhoea.
After returning to the UK, a doctor at Slaidburn Health Centre prescribed antibiotics to Mr Alpe.
But his condition did not improve and Mrs Alpe took him to Clitheroe Community Hospital.
She said: “The first thing they did was take blood tests and wired him up to monitors.
“When the blood sample came back, all hell broke loose.”
A post-mortem examin-ation was carried out by Dr Neil Sahasrabudhe, a consultant histopathologist at Royal Blackburn Hospital .
He said it was 'likely' the source of the E.Coli was contaminated food.
Coroner Michael Singleton recorded a verdict of accidental death.