A ROOFER died after falling off a ladder while repairing a chimney.

Keith Allan Jackson was climbing down from the terrace house roof and was almost at the bottom when he fell to the ground and suffered head injuries.

The 65-year-old was pointing the chimney in Brandwood Street, Darwen, when the accident happened shortly before 10am yesterday.

He was taken to the Royal Blackburn Hospital by ambulance after a doctor was flown to the scene by the air ambulance.

However, despite the paramedic’s best efforts he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Police said a post mortem will now be carried to determine the cause of death.

It is believed Mr Jackson may have suffered a heart attack while he was on the ladder.

A woman who lives at the address where the accident happened said she was too upset to talk yesterday.

Michael Calvey, 18, who works near Brandwood Street, said: “I was absolutely shocked to hear someone has died.

“The poor man.”

A resident said: “I saw the ambulances but just assumed someone had been taken ill.

“I didn’t even realise any of my neighbours were having work done.”

Another resident said: “It’s just awful.

“I heard the man fell from a ladder and then suffered a heart attack.”

Mr Jackson, of Whitechapel Close, Bolton, was a self employed tradesman, who established the company Roofkraft in 1965.

It is thought he employed two members of staff.

A spokesman from Roofkraft, Bolton, said: “We are aware of the accident.”

Detectives from Blackburn with Darwen CID were called to the scene after it was reported a man had suffered serious head injuries in an industrial accident.

The Health and Safety Executive also attended the scene.

Lancashire police asked neighbouring Greater Manchester police to inform the family.

DI Mark Vaughton, who led the investigation, said: “We received a call from the ambulance service stating a 65-year-old man had been found with head injuries in the back yard of a house in Brandwood Street, Darwen.

“We quickly established the man who is from Bolton had been working at the property.

“At this time his cause of death still remains unknown, but I can say there were no suspicious circumstances.

“I also believe this man did not fall from a great height.

“The paramedics made a valiant effort to save the man who later sadly died.

“My sincere condolences are with the family.”

A spokesman for the HSE said: “The HSE is making inquiries into the incident.

“Making inquiries does not mean there is an investigation.

“It will be decided as part of the inquiries if the incident needs to be investigated.”