Decision to pull down World War One commemoration event banners labelled 'baffling'

Colne war memorial - pictures before and after it was cleaned up

Colne war memorial - pictures before and after it was cleaned up

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by

A DECISION to pull down eight banners advertising a World War One commemoration event has been labelled ‘baffling’ by angry protesters.

County highways bosses have insisted that the signs, installed in prominent places around Colne to promote the town’s dedicated event to mark the beginning of the conflict, was made for road safety reasons.

But Coun Sarah Cockburn-Price, chairman of organisers Colne Town Council, said: “This is a publicly-funded event and we would have expected them to turn a blind eye.

“But a county council worker has taken it upon himself to remove them without asking. He could have simply ‘googled’ the event and contacted the town clerk.”

Last night the town council had been inundated with businesses offering alternative sites for the banners - on non-council owned land.

Coun Cockburn-Price added: “Hopefully we will be able to get them back up fairly soon. Pendle Leisure Trust has offered us a number of sites and we are very grateful.”

The County Hall purge has also seen a number of banners promoting Trawden Show removed, it is understood.

Coun Neil Butterworth, Pendle’s armed forces champion, said: “They took down the World War One banner but left up those for travelling shows. If one has to come down then they all have to come down.

“These are hand-stencilled banners, not plastic ones and all they needed to do was make one telephone call.”

Oliver Starkey, the count council’s highways manager for Pendle, said: "Guard rails are supposed to be see-through so drivers have a clear view of pedestrians and oncoming traffic.

"We have a duty to ensure road safety and remove any signs that have been attached to railings, street lights and traffic lights without our approval.”

Colne Commemorates takes place on August 2 featuring a period town council canteen, reconstruction of a trench in the orchestra pit at the Hippodrome, a display of dogs and pigeons and the role outside the Little Theatre, a parade by the Royal British Legion to the Colne war memorial for a service at 11am and a recreation of a photographic studio for commemorative portraits.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:39am Sun 27 Jul 14

vicn1956 says...

There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles.
There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles. vicn1956
  • Score: 17

11:18am Sun 27 Jul 14

barryinthailand says...

But Coun Sarah Cockburn-Price, chairman of organisers Colne Town Council, said: “This is a publicly-funded event and we would have expected them to turn a blind eye.

Unbelievable comment from a Councillor, do as we say not as we do springs to mind.
But Coun Sarah Cockburn-Price, chairman of organisers Colne Town Council, said: “This is a publicly-funded event and we would have expected them to turn a blind eye. Unbelievable comment from a Councillor, do as we say not as we do springs to mind. barryinthailand
  • Score: 13

11:48am Sun 27 Jul 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

vicn1956 wrote:
There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles.
So why do you refer to these people as imbeciles.
Is it totally insane to put public road tragic safety something that is there to protect life, above stupid banners advertising a pointless event.
Well done Mr Sharkey you've done the thing.
Vicn1956 why don't you engage brain before opening gob, it's works wonders.
[quote][p][bold]vicn1956[/bold] wrote: There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles.[/p][/quote]So why do you refer to these people as imbeciles. Is it totally insane to put public road tragic safety something that is there to protect life, above stupid banners advertising a pointless event. Well done Mr Sharkey you've done the thing. Vicn1956 why don't you engage brain before opening gob, it's works wonders. 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -18

12:58pm Sun 27 Jul 14

eastlancslad says...

Imbecile rides again!
Imbecile rides again! eastlancslad
  • Score: 10

1:14pm Sun 27 Jul 14

coates warder says...

we need see through railings so drivers can see pedestrians ...why?. they are behind a barrier why would a motorist need to see them behind it
we need see through railings so drivers can see pedestrians ...why?. they are behind a barrier why would a motorist need to see them behind it coates warder
  • Score: 9

1:30pm Sun 27 Jul 14

vicn1956 says...

Do you remember the small knitted replica jerseys hung on lampposts on the rout of the tour de france in Yorkshire. They were taken down due to "safety concerns."
So yes they are imbeciles. And their tentacles are spreading.
2 for 5p-you've no right to say engage brain before opening gob judging by most of your posts.
Do you remember the small knitted replica jerseys hung on lampposts on the rout of the tour de france in Yorkshire. They were taken down due to "safety concerns." So yes they are imbeciles. And their tentacles are spreading. 2 for 5p-you've no right to say engage brain before opening gob judging by most of your posts. vicn1956
  • Score: 11

1:31pm Sun 27 Jul 14

vicn1956 says...

And the punchline-the jerseys-weighing less than 200g-"Might have bent the lampposts."
And the punchline-the jerseys-weighing less than 200g-"Might have bent the lampposts." vicn1956
  • Score: 9

1:33pm Sun 27 Jul 14

vicn1956 says...

and 2 for 5p-if I said today was Sunday you would disagree. That's the level of your posts.
and 2 for 5p-if I said today was Sunday you would disagree. That's the level of your posts. vicn1956
  • Score: 6

1:58pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Kevin, Colne says...

This morning my family and I were strolling in Wycoller and we picked-up a leaflet on the Colne Commemorative Parade planned for 2 August.

I suppose this event is commemorating many aspects, but it is hard to escape the conclusion that The Great War was a tragedy of monumental proportions that is almost beyond words.

With the centenary of the start of World War One now coming into view I have been utterly appalled by the promotion of ‘commemorative’ memorabilia that quite frankly is insulting to the memory of those that gave their lives for a better world.

Two examples illustrate my point.

A couple of weeks ago Royal Mail delivered to our house an unsolicited leaflet for a £5 commemorative coin, available for £5. One was then invited to psychologically dedicate the coin to a war relative from 1914-18.

Would it not be better to give £5 to the Royal British Legion and be content with nothing in return other than the knowledge that one had given genuine and much needed financial aid?

Further research revealed a well-known commemorative coin company to be selling a 1914 Gold Sovereign for £490, yet I believe that an identical coin can be purchased from a numismatic company of long-standing for around £360. A mark-up of 50% is nothing short of grotesque.

Clearly, commemorative coin companies are ‘coining it in’.

If one wishes to commemorate the war then may I suggest standing quietly for ten minutes at the cenotaph in Colne and reading every name in turn?

I’ve never got to the end of the list without crying. Sorry to be admitting this on a public forum, but it’s the truth.

Or, failing this then a trip to the Accrington Pals room at Accrington Library where one can stand in quiet solitude looking at a picture of the battalion consisting of the men and lads and underneath a list of their names and details of those killed or injured. Of those that returned very few came back unscathed.

The political class may wish the commemoration to include a jolly good knees up, but my reply is: thanks, but no thanks.

This commemoration should be focusing on the tragedy of it all; and trying to find lessons that we can learn and take to heart so that we will never again repeat the errors of earlier generations.
This morning my family and I were strolling in Wycoller and we picked-up a leaflet on the Colne Commemorative Parade planned for 2 August. I suppose this event is commemorating many aspects, but it is hard to escape the conclusion that The Great War was a tragedy of monumental proportions that is almost beyond words. With the centenary of the start of World War One now coming into view I have been utterly appalled by the promotion of ‘commemorative’ memorabilia that quite frankly is insulting to the memory of those that gave their lives for a better world. Two examples illustrate my point. A couple of weeks ago Royal Mail delivered to our house an unsolicited leaflet for a £5 commemorative coin, available for £5. One was then invited to psychologically dedicate the coin to a war relative from 1914-18. Would it not be better to give £5 to the Royal British Legion and be content with nothing in return other than the knowledge that one had given genuine and much needed financial aid? Further research revealed a well-known commemorative coin company to be selling a 1914 Gold Sovereign for £490, yet I believe that an identical coin can be purchased from a numismatic company of long-standing for around £360. A mark-up of 50% is nothing short of grotesque. Clearly, commemorative coin companies are ‘coining it in’. If one wishes to commemorate the war then may I suggest standing quietly for ten minutes at the cenotaph in Colne and reading every name in turn? I’ve never got to the end of the list without crying. Sorry to be admitting this on a public forum, but it’s the truth. Or, failing this then a trip to the Accrington Pals room at Accrington Library where one can stand in quiet solitude looking at a picture of the battalion consisting of the men and lads and underneath a list of their names and details of those killed or injured. Of those that returned very few came back unscathed. The political class may wish the commemoration to include a jolly good knees up, but my reply is: thanks, but no thanks. This commemoration should be focusing on the tragedy of it all; and trying to find lessons that we can learn and take to heart so that we will never again repeat the errors of earlier generations. Kevin, Colne
  • Score: 16

6:32pm Sun 27 Jul 14

onsidecobra says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
vicn1956 wrote:
There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles.
So why do you refer to these people as imbeciles.
Is it totally insane to put public road tragic safety something that is there to protect life, above stupid banners advertising a pointless event.
Well done Mr Sharkey you've done the thing.
Vicn1956 why don't you engage brain before opening gob, it's works wonders.
"Stupid banners advertising a pointless event". Well Mr or Mrs 2 for 5p ridesagain, I suggest that you dismount for a while and think about the men and women who gave their lives, yes their lives for self opinionated knobs like yourself. When you are in the pub or wherever it is you go to spout your blinkered ideology it maybe just worth thinking about those lads and lasses.
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]vicn1956[/bold] wrote: There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles.[/p][/quote]So why do you refer to these people as imbeciles. Is it totally insane to put public road tragic safety something that is there to protect life, above stupid banners advertising a pointless event. Well done Mr Sharkey you've done the thing. Vicn1956 why don't you engage brain before opening gob, it's works wonders.[/p][/quote]"Stupid banners advertising a pointless event". Well Mr or Mrs 2 for 5p ridesagain, I suggest that you dismount for a while and think about the men and women who gave their lives, yes their lives for self opinionated knobs like yourself. When you are in the pub or wherever it is you go to spout your blinkered ideology it maybe just worth thinking about those lads and lasses. onsidecobra
  • Score: 3

6:51pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Lordy2Lordy says...

Your pic. purporting to be that of Colne war memorial isn't. Don't know where this one is but it certainly is not Colne. A Colner.
Your pic. purporting to be that of Colne war memorial isn't. Don't know where this one is but it certainly is not Colne. A Colner. Lordy2Lordy
  • Score: 1

7:52pm Sun 27 Jul 14

vicn1956 says...

I prefer to quietly visit cemeteries and reflect. Last year I visited Colne Cemetery around 11th November and was pleased to see a poppy on each war grave. The gardener said they did it each year. There are dozens and dozens of other cemeteries around Lancashire with war graves.
Go visit some in November and leave poppies.
We must remember them and give thanks.
I prefer to quietly visit cemeteries and reflect. Last year I visited Colne Cemetery around 11th November and was pleased to see a poppy on each war grave. The gardener said they did it each year. There are dozens and dozens of other cemeteries around Lancashire with war graves. Go visit some in November and leave poppies. We must remember them and give thanks. vicn1956
  • Score: 2

8:07pm Sun 27 Jul 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

onsidecobra wrote:
2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
vicn1956 wrote:
There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles.
So why do you refer to these people as imbeciles.
Is it totally insane to put public road tragic safety something that is there to protect life, above stupid banners advertising a pointless event.
Well done Mr Sharkey you've done the thing.
Vicn1956 why don't you engage brain before opening gob, it's works wonders.
"Stupid banners advertising a pointless event". Well Mr or Mrs 2 for 5p ridesagain, I suggest that you dismount for a while and think about the men and women who gave their lives, yes their lives for self opinionated knobs like yourself. When you are in the pub or wherever it is you go to spout your blinkered ideology it maybe just worth thinking about those lads and lasses.
Ooh touchy are we. :-)
[quote][p][bold]onsidecobra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]vicn1956[/bold] wrote: There's too much power in the hands of imbeciles.[/p][/quote]So why do you refer to these people as imbeciles. Is it totally insane to put public road tragic safety something that is there to protect life, above stupid banners advertising a pointless event. Well done Mr Sharkey you've done the thing. Vicn1956 why don't you engage brain before opening gob, it's works wonders.[/p][/quote]"Stupid banners advertising a pointless event". Well Mr or Mrs 2 for 5p ridesagain, I suggest that you dismount for a while and think about the men and women who gave their lives, yes their lives for self opinionated knobs like yourself. When you are in the pub or wherever it is you go to spout your blinkered ideology it maybe just worth thinking about those lads and lasses.[/p][/quote]Ooh touchy are we. :-) 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -2

4:59pm Mon 28 Jul 14

justaworkinlad says...

But it's OK to have adverts on roundabout's ?
But it's OK to have adverts on roundabout's ? justaworkinlad
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree