When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Pendle student was attacked in motorway subway
6:00pm Saturday 25th January 2014 in News
ONE of two 'drunken' muggers who terrorised a student in a late-night subway attack had his arm in plaster - and was identified and arrested when he turned up outside a police station.
Burnley Crown Court heard how Shahbaz Ahmed had targeted victim Connor Edwards with his accomplice Mohammed Ellihi just three days before, in an M65 underpass. Police swooped and detained Ahmed when he matched the description given of the bandaged robber and the 20-year-old victim's stolen iPod and earphones were found.
The hearing was told Ahmed claimed he didn't lay a finger on Mr Edwards and said he would take police to the house of the 'guy who did it' in Charles Street, Nelson.
The victim had been threatened he would be stabbed with a nine inch screwdriver during his ordeal. He was left fearful of groups when going out.
Ahmed, 25, of Park Avenue, Barrowford, and his co- defendant, 20, both admitted robbery, last October 16. They were jailed for 20 months.
Denise Fitzpatrick, prosecuting, said Mr Edwards had been to a pub quiz and at 11.20pm was in the subway under the motorway walking home. He was listening to his iPod through his earphones.
The defendants were at the entrance and Ahmed asked if he had any cigarettes.
Ellihi warned him: "Come on, just give us some fags. It could save your life."
Miss Fitzpatrick said both defendants then simultaneously searched Mr Edwards' pockets. Ahmed got the victim's wallet and took £13 and then pulled his iPod and earphones from his jacket. Ellihi then pulled a nine inch screwdriver from his pocket, waved it towards Mr Edwards in a stabbing motion and told him: "Just get lost or I am going to stab you."
Both defendants had criminal records, with more than 30 offences between them.
Comments are closed on this article.