When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley new year siege man admits death threats
A MAN has admitted taking his ex-partner prisoner and threatening to cut her throat in a 25-hour siege which brought a large part of Burnley to a standstill.
Luke Paul Entwistle, 20, of Escott Gardens, appeared at Burnley Crown Court yesterday and pleaded guilty to false imprisonment of Emma Brown, from Darwen, between last December 29 and January 1 this year, making a threat to kill her to PC Simon Strickland and other officers of Lancashire Constabulary and also affray last December 30 at Burnley. He was remanded in custody until a hearing at Preston Crown Court on May 6.
Prosecutor Parveen Akhtar had earlier told Burnley magistrates Ms Brown was held against her will and officers were deployed from Greater Manchester Police.
Miss Akhtar said police spoke to the defendant through a window.
He was said to have been holding a kitchen knife and said Emma Brown was ‘going to get it’. Entwistle had told officers: “If any of you come into the property I will cut her throat.”
Ms Brown had been held at the defendant’s flat on Escott Gardens.
She emerged unharmed on New Year’s Eve after police negotiators were called in.
Armed police, four ambulances, police dogs and a fire crew had surrounded the house through the night after police were called.
DI Neil Marr said: “This was a resource intensive incident which caused us a great deal of concern for all the occupants in the house, including Entwistle. I am pleased he has pleaded guilty as this saves the victim the added trauma of giving evidence.”