When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Brierfield Mills in heritage spotlight
HISTORIC Brierfield Mill will open its doors to the public this week, giving the first glimpses of its multi-million pound transformation.
The 19th-century mill opens tomorrow as part of the national Heritage Open Days initiative.
Waterside buildings in Burnley, including Oak Mount Engine House, will also open as part of the town’s canal festival this weekend.
Old favourites such as Burnley Grammar School, Queen Street Textile Museum and Towneley Hall will also offer glimpses of the borough’s illustrious past.
But it is the unveiling of the grade II listed Brierfield Mill, once home to 80,000 spindles and 3,000 looms, and set over 380,000 square feet, which is perhaps the most intriguing.
Pendle Council bought the mill for £1.5million last year with funding from the Government’s Homes and Communities Agency.
Now owned by PEARL (Brierfield Mill) Ltd, part of the authority’s joint venture company with local developer Barnfield, it is the subject of various regeneration efforts.
Coun Joe Cooney, leader of the council, said: “Brierfield Mill has huge potential for Pendle and we’re at the start of a 10-year plan to transform it.”
First constructed by Henry Tunstill in 1838, it became a catalyst for the development of the town.
The tour of the mill begins at 2pm and lasts an hour. Anybody wanting to view should meet at the former office entrance in Glen Way.
For more information about Heritage Open Days across East Lancashire, visit www.heritageopendays. org.uk
Comments are closed on this article.