When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Delay on decision over future of Burnley community centre
12:00pm Sunday 11th August 2013 in News
CAMPAIGNERS fighting to save a popular Burnley community centre have welcomed a delay on a decision over its future.
Keepmoat Housing want to build 132 homes in Burnley Wood which will mean the community centre, in Glebe Street, will be demolished.
In July more than 1,000 letters in protest at the plans to bulldoze the centre were handed to local county councillor Jeff Sumner.
A Burnley Council spokesman said: “It had been thought that this this application could be considered at the meeting of the council’s development control committee on Thursday August 22.
“In fact, the application will not be considered on this date.
“This is because council officers are dealing with responses from statutory consultees, so that a comprehensive report can be put before the Committee at one of its next meetings.”
As well as the letter of protest 10-year-old centre user Charlie Warrander wrote to the Queen asking for her intervention in saving the centre.
Coun Sumner said: “It’s good news that they appear to be taking on board the views that have been expressed in the consultations.
“But we will continue to fight this application until we have won and the community centre remains.
“It is a popular community centre that is important to Burnley Wood residents and the number of people having their say on the plans show the strength of feeling.
“It is a viable centre with plenty of activities and events.”
Comments are closed on this article.