Fire rips through Burnley home

First published in News

A BLAZE ripped through the ground floor of a terraced house in Burnley yesterday afternoon (Fri).

Fire crews from Burnley Fire Station were called to the house in Cog Lane at around 4.05pm.

A family living there managed to get out before crews arrived.

It is believed the cause was a faulty gas and electricity metre in the property.

Firefighters wearing breathing equipment tackled the blaze with a hose reel, a jet and a hearth kit.

They also used a ventilation unit to clear smoke.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene by paramedics.

Shocked neighbours gathered outside in the street to watch the crews as they tackled the flames.

Police closed the road while fire crews brought the fire, which gutted the downstairs rooms, under control.

Crews remained at the scene for more than three hours damping down the scene.

No other houses were evacuated during the incident, which is not being treated as suspicious.

A fire spokesman said: "Nobody was injured. The family were there with ambulance crews and one member of the family was treated for smoke inhalation. Police officers were there to oversee the scene."

The house was boarded up last night.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree