Toxic cocktail of drugs killed Padiham woman

Kelly Moore

Kelly Moore

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , .

A HOSPITAL support worker died after she took a toxic combination of cocaine and the legal high ‘bubble’ at a house party, an inquest heard.

Kelly Moore, 25, who worked at Burnley General Hospital, collapsed on a bed after a party in Russell Terrace, Padiham, on February 25 last year.

Witnesses told a two-day sitting of Burnley Coroner’s Court, at Burnley Town Hall, that Miss Moore, of Pendle Street, was a regular weekend user of bubble.

They said she had been drinking through the night at a house party, in Stockbridge Road, before leaving with a group of friends in the early hours of the morning to go to Russell Terrace.

One witness, Andre Lennox, who had not been drinking, said he noticed Miss Moore having what appeared to be a fit at around 10.45am, but his concerns were ignored.

At around 11.15am he returned to the house after visiting a sandwich shop and noticed Miss Moore was turning blue and had stopped breathing.

He moved her from the bed to the floor, placed her in the recovery position and performed CPR, while a friend called an ambulance.

She was found dead at the home at 11.50am.

Toxicology reports showed traces of cocaine and cathinones, an amphetamine used as an ingredient in bubble, in her blood.

Friends who left tributes on Facebook, described her as ‘one in a million’ and ‘absolutely brilliant’.

At the time, six men and one woman were arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of Class A drugs, but nobody was charged. Recording a verdict of accidental death, East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor said he hoped that Miss Moore’s death would send a message to other users of legal highs.

Mr Taylor said: “It might be naive of me to believe the reporting of this inquest could change people’s behaviour, but even if those users of drugs give a second thought to the possibly tragic outcome of cocktails of alcohol and drugs, then all we have heard may not be totally in vain. Kelly was a hard-working, fun, life-loving young girl who enjoyed the weekend and parties.

“She was somebody not unused to taking drugs, but she had no idea that combination of drugs would have proved fatal.”


Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree