Firefighters urge people not to tackle blazes in their own homes after incident in Burnley

First published in News

FIREFIGHTERS are urging residents not to tackle fires in their homes unless they know proper techniques.

It comes as a woman had to be treated for smoke inhalation after she tried to put out a toaster fire with a damp cloth and pillow.

The incident happened in Kime Street, Burnley, at around 9.10pm on Sunday (Dec 9).

Watch manager Neil Ashworth said: “The advice we give is to shut the door, call us and not to put yourself in danger.

“The woman, who was in her 40s, discovered the fire and tried to tackle it with a damp cloth, which is not recommended.

“It did not work so she tried with a pillow and made it worse.

“The lady suffered smoke inhalation which we treated at the scene with oxygen.

“Automatic devices still need watching, we cannot rely on them 100 per cent.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:07am Wed 12 Dec 12

Rimbus says...

A pillow? Was the toaster in her bedroom? Sounds like a close escape as she could have set her winceyette nightie on fire!
A pillow? Was the toaster in her bedroom? Sounds like a close escape as she could have set her winceyette nightie on fire! Rimbus
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree