Burnley 'attack victim’ drove while over the limit

11:00pm Thursday 29th November 2012

A JOINER who got behind the wheel while more than twice the limit had been attacked, Burnley magistrates heard.

Anthony Marsh, 39, had tried to get a taxi home from Burnley town centre, but had been bleeding and the cab driver had told him he should ring an ambulance.

Marsh had his car keys with him and set off to drive home, but was stopped on Todmorden Road in the town, the court was told.

The defendant, who needs his licence for work, has now been banned for a year, after admitting driving with excess alcohol on November 10. Marsh, of Hope Street, Worsthorne, was fined £400, with a £40 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

Nick Cassidy, for Marsh, said he had been subjected to an unproved attack by a doorman and his eye was bleeding.

He had not been causing any trouble.

Marsh accepted he had had some lager. The defendant couldn’t get a taxi and because he had his keys with him, he made a foolish mistake. He felt fit to drive but was over the limit. The solicitor added : “He has learned a harsh lesson.”

Back

© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Lancashire Telegraph: site_logo http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/trade_directory/