A FIRE caused damage to the inside of a pub the day before it was due to close for refurbishments.
Fire crews were called to the Crooked Billet, in Smith Street, Worsthorne, at 4.40pm yesterday.
The blaze started after the lights of the venue were turned on in the afternoon ahead of the pub opening in the evening.
Watch manager Steve Harrison said: "The landlady had turned the lights on and there has either been a fault in the electrics, or one of the hot light bulbs has touched a curtain. We cannot be certain which one of those it was."
The landlady hadn't noticed the fire, which was in the main bar area, and was alerted by a passerby, Mr Harrison said.
He said: "It has damaged quite a bit of the main bar area like tables and benches, as well as curtains and decorations.
"It could have been a lot worse though but because doors were shut it stopped it spreading."
The pub is to be closed from today for two weeks for a refurbishment.
Three police patrol cars also attended the scene to cordon off the narrow street, which was re-opened again after around an hour.