Todmorden Curve link on track for start in 2014

CLEARED Vegetation is cut back on the Todmorden Curve

CLEARED Vegetation is cut back on the Todmorden Curve

First published in Burnley Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

TRAIN bosses can see daylight now on the £6.8million project to restore a vital rail link to Manchester from Burnley.

Work is progressing apace on the long-awaited Todmorden Curve initiative, which will dramatically slash journey times from the town’s Manchester Road station to the city.

Four decades of vegetation has been removed from the track bed, between Stansfield Hall and the main Todmorden-Hebden Bridge line.

The 500-metre stretch will offer a switchback facility so Manchester-bound passengers no longer have to change trains at Hebden Bridge, or head to the city via Blackburn.

A Network Rail spokesman said: “So far we have completed detailed topographical surveys and the design process has started.

“Full de-vegetation has been completed along the new route of the curve, including removal of tree roots.

“Driver training is scheduled to start early in 2014, with the first passengers services running from May.”

New signalling will be installed, as well as adaptions to the existing framework, and extra strengthening will be needed for the Stansfield Hall viaduct.

Regular passenger services have not run along the route since the mid-1960s and most of the track was removed in 1972.

Only a small section was left, near the junction, to house engineering trains.

Major improvements are also pencilled in for Manchester Road station as part of the same works, including the restitution of the main building.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:43pm Fri 22 Jun 12

sim1846 says...

When will LCC fully support the Colne to Skipton rail Link which is just as importantas the link from Burnely to Manchester if not more so, notice that they wont be any direct trains from Colne to Manchester via this link to, Pendle is just as important as Burnely, and By the way, LCC, why is it that the Todmorden Curve project gets the go ahead when the campaign to re-link Colne to Skipton as been going on now for over 10 years, which is a lot longer than the Todmorden curve link campaign.
Both LCC and North Yorkshire CC both know that there are Private investors out there, but as Government say's both CC's need to get their Act together and support it, its not for the DFT to push for this project.
When will LCC fully support the Colne to Skipton rail Link which is just as importantas the link from Burnely to Manchester if not more so, notice that they wont be any direct trains from Colne to Manchester via this link to, Pendle is just as important as Burnely, and By the way, LCC, why is it that the Todmorden Curve project gets the go ahead when the campaign to re-link Colne to Skipton as been going on now for over 10 years, which is a lot longer than the Todmorden curve link campaign. Both LCC and North Yorkshire CC both know that there are Private investors out there, but as Government say's both CC's need to get their Act together and support it, its not for the DFT to push for this project. sim1846
  • Score: 0

5:50pm Fri 22 Jun 12

sim1846 says...

When will LCC fully support the Colne to Skipton rail Link which is just as importantas the link from Burnely to Manchester if not more so, notice that they wont be any direct trains from Colne to Manchester via this link to, Pendle is just as important as Burnely, and By the way, LCC, why is it that the Todmorden Curve project gets the go ahead when the campaign to re-link Colne to Skipton as been going on now for over 10 years, which is a lot longer than the Todmorden curve link campaign.
Both LCC and North Yorkshire CC both know that there are Private investors out there, but as Government say's both CC's need to get their Act together and support it, its not for the DFT to push for this project.
When will LCC fully support the Colne to Skipton rail Link which is just as importantas the link from Burnely to Manchester if not more so, notice that they wont be any direct trains from Colne to Manchester via this link to, Pendle is just as important as Burnely, and By the way, LCC, why is it that the Todmorden Curve project gets the go ahead when the campaign to re-link Colne to Skipton as been going on now for over 10 years, which is a lot longer than the Todmorden curve link campaign. Both LCC and North Yorkshire CC both know that there are Private investors out there, but as Government say's both CC's need to get their Act together and support it, its not for the DFT to push for this project. sim1846
  • Score: 0

7:26pm Fri 22 Jun 12

davidinburnley says...

What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money.
What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money. davidinburnley
  • Score: -3

7:31pm Fri 22 Jun 12

Blurta says...

Aahh. The Colne to Skipton dream line, because that's all it is. There is no chance of this pipe dream going ahead, once Blackburn, Accrington and Burnley get their direct link to Manchester, the writing is on the wall for the Burnley to Colne line. The trains between Burnley and Colne are always empty and there is no business case or requirement for the Colne/Skipton. A few beardy train enthusiasts and ramblers will never make this link viable as the LCC, the rail companies and the Government know well.
As for the Colne/Skipton line being proposed first, it's all down to economics.
Take it from me Burnley/Colne will soon become a cycle path.
Aahh. The Colne to Skipton dream line, because that's all it is. There is no chance of this pipe dream going ahead, once Blackburn, Accrington and Burnley get their direct link to Manchester, the writing is on the wall for the Burnley to Colne line. The trains between Burnley and Colne are always empty and there is no business case or requirement for the Colne/Skipton. A few beardy train enthusiasts and ramblers will never make this link viable as the LCC, the rail companies and the Government know well. As for the Colne/Skipton line being proposed first, it's all down to economics. Take it from me Burnley/Colne will soon become a cycle path. Blurta
  • Score: -1

10:43pm Fri 22 Jun 12

Caricature says...

Why does it take so long to re- instate 500mts of track? In 1863 the Yankees built the 3000 mile trans continental railway in 6 years and the record was 10 miles in 1 day!
Why does it take so long to re- instate 500mts of track? In 1863 the Yankees built the 3000 mile trans continental railway in 6 years and the record was 10 miles in 1 day! Caricature
  • Score: 1

11:07pm Fri 22 Jun 12

psch says...

Total and utter waste of money on an scheme which few will used, just think what use the area could make with £7 m
Total and utter waste of money on an scheme which few will used, just think what use the area could make with £7 m psch
  • Score: -1

10:37am Sat 23 Jun 12

sim1846 says...

davidinburnley wrote:
What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money.
Longer Journey times, Hmm, you dont know much about this link, and the bus service then, it can take nearly 2 Hrs on the Bus to get to Manchester from Nelson, with this rail project you will be able to get from Burnely Manchester RD station in about 1hr.

Which is not a wast of money, but could have done for a lot cheaper, if Network Rail wasn't doing the rebuild, if the track and train service was all under one banner, it would have been put back for about 1 Million.
[quote][p][bold]davidinburnley[/bold] wrote: What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money.[/p][/quote]Longer Journey times, Hmm, you dont know much about this link, and the bus service then, it can take nearly 2 Hrs on the Bus to get to Manchester from Nelson, with this rail project you will be able to get from Burnely Manchester RD station in about 1hr. Which is not a wast of money, but could have done for a lot cheaper, if Network Rail wasn't doing the rebuild, if the track and train service was all under one banner, it would have been put back for about 1 Million. sim1846
  • Score: 0

10:49am Sat 23 Jun 12

sim1846 says...

By the way the Colne to Skipton rail line project will get off the ground, which is also seen as part of the Todmorden Curve Project, once you have both rail links in place it would provide faster links on both sides of the border, to either Manchester or Leeds, with no major rail tunnels and it happens to have the lowest gradient over the Pennines than the other lines, far cheaper to run train this way.

But this is also seen as a missing link between the West Coast and East Coast Ports for freight movement.

And could provide direct link from the East Coast main Line to the West Coast Main Line, if their are issues on the line.

The Project does have the Backing of Private Investors to, but Government and both CC's need to get of their backs and place the Financial Guarantee's their, and fund the Grip 3 Study.
By the way the Colne to Skipton rail line project will get off the ground, which is also seen as part of the Todmorden Curve Project, once you have both rail links in place it would provide faster links on both sides of the border, to either Manchester or Leeds, with no major rail tunnels and it happens to have the lowest gradient over the Pennines than the other lines, far cheaper to run train this way. But this is also seen as a missing link between the West Coast and East Coast Ports for freight movement. And could provide direct link from the East Coast main Line to the West Coast Main Line, if their are issues on the line. The Project does have the Backing of Private Investors to, but Government and both CC's need to get of their backs and place the Financial Guarantee's their, and fund the Grip 3 Study. sim1846
  • Score: 1

10:52am Sat 23 Jun 12

davidinburnley says...

sim1846 wrote:
davidinburnley wrote:
What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money.
Longer Journey times, Hmm, you dont know much about this link, and the bus service then, it can take nearly 2 Hrs on the Bus to get to Manchester from Nelson, with this rail project you will be able to get from Burnely Manchester RD station in about 1hr.

Which is not a wast of money, but could have done for a lot cheaper, if Network Rail wasn't doing the rebuild, if the track and train service was all under one banner, it would have been put back for about 1 Million.
The trains will run from Burnley, not Nelson. The bus from Burnley to Manchester takes rarely an hour and I can't see it taking a further hour from Nelson to Burnley.
Without an express bus from Nelson to Burnley how long would it take you to get to Mcr Rd station? Then another hour on the train? I think you're over-egging the pudding a bit to try and justify something that the vast majority of others see as an utter waste of money.
[quote][p][bold]sim1846[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davidinburnley[/bold] wrote: What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money.[/p][/quote]Longer Journey times, Hmm, you dont know much about this link, and the bus service then, it can take nearly 2 Hrs on the Bus to get to Manchester from Nelson, with this rail project you will be able to get from Burnely Manchester RD station in about 1hr. Which is not a wast of money, but could have done for a lot cheaper, if Network Rail wasn't doing the rebuild, if the track and train service was all under one banner, it would have been put back for about 1 Million.[/p][/quote]The trains will run from Burnley, not Nelson. The bus from Burnley to Manchester takes rarely an hour and I can't see it taking a further hour from Nelson to Burnley. Without an express bus from Nelson to Burnley how long would it take you to get to Mcr Rd station? Then another hour on the train? I think you're over-egging the pudding a bit to try and justify something that the vast majority of others see as an utter waste of money. davidinburnley
  • Score: -3

6:33pm Sat 23 Jun 12

everywhere is sh1t says...

Regular passenger services have not run along the route since the mid-1960s and most of the track was removed in 1972
as someone who grow up in todmorden the track has allways been there it was never removed ,another waste of money as for colne to skipton who the hell wants to visit these towns in the first place
Regular passenger services have not run along the route since the mid-1960s and most of the track was removed in 1972 as someone who grow up in todmorden the track has allways been there it was never removed ,another waste of money as for colne to skipton who the hell wants to visit these towns in the first place everywhere is sh1t
  • Score: -1

1:12pm Sun 24 Jun 12

Burnley_Sailor85 says...

Personally I can't wait to be able to travel directly from Burnley to Rochdale, at the moment traveling time takes upwards of 2 hours either going through Manchester on the bus, Manchester via Blackburn on the train or Hebden bridge. Add that when traveling from my parents in Burnley the last thing I really want to be doing is lugging heavy bags around from Chorlton street coach station to the nearest railway line, I see this will prove more popular than Burnley to Preston currently is- especially with the amount of teens that visit Manchester every weekend.
Personally I can't wait to be able to travel directly from Burnley to Rochdale, at the moment traveling time takes upwards of 2 hours either going through Manchester on the bus, Manchester via Blackburn on the train or Hebden bridge. Add that when traveling from my parents in Burnley the last thing I really want to be doing is lugging heavy bags around from Chorlton street coach station to the nearest railway line, I see this will prove more popular than Burnley to Preston currently is- especially with the amount of teens that visit Manchester every weekend. Burnley_Sailor85
  • Score: 2

6:39pm Mon 25 Jun 12

Keloran says...

davidinburnley wrote:
sim1846 wrote:
davidinburnley wrote:
What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money.
Longer Journey times, Hmm, you dont know much about this link, and the bus service then, it can take nearly 2 Hrs on the Bus to get to Manchester from Nelson, with this rail project you will be able to get from Burnely Manchester RD station in about 1hr.

Which is not a wast of money, but could have done for a lot cheaper, if Network Rail wasn't doing the rebuild, if the track and train service was all under one banner, it would have been put back for about 1 Million.
The trains will run from Burnley, not Nelson. The bus from Burnley to Manchester takes rarely an hour and I can't see it taking a further hour from Nelson to Burnley.
Without an express bus from Nelson to Burnley how long would it take you to get to Mcr Rd station? Then another hour on the train? I think you're over-egging the pudding a bit to try and justify something that the vast majority of others see as an utter waste of money.
I assume you don't commute

I set off from summit at 7:15am, I don't get to Manchester till 8:45 most mornings, which is longer than the 45 minutes the train will "Supposidly" take

Plus this will skip the bi-weekly car crash that happens and extends that journey another 30-60 minutes
[quote][p][bold]davidinburnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sim1846[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davidinburnley[/bold] wrote: What a waste of money. We don't need this. Longer journey times than the current express bus service, bound to cost a lot more to travel, dirty trains, overcrowded trains, late trains, infrequent service. I thought we were in a recession so I fail to see how this can be though of as good use of public money.[/p][/quote]Longer Journey times, Hmm, you dont know much about this link, and the bus service then, it can take nearly 2 Hrs on the Bus to get to Manchester from Nelson, with this rail project you will be able to get from Burnely Manchester RD station in about 1hr. Which is not a wast of money, but could have done for a lot cheaper, if Network Rail wasn't doing the rebuild, if the track and train service was all under one banner, it would have been put back for about 1 Million.[/p][/quote]The trains will run from Burnley, not Nelson. The bus from Burnley to Manchester takes rarely an hour and I can't see it taking a further hour from Nelson to Burnley. Without an express bus from Nelson to Burnley how long would it take you to get to Mcr Rd station? Then another hour on the train? I think you're over-egging the pudding a bit to try and justify something that the vast majority of others see as an utter waste of money.[/p][/quote]I assume you don't commute I set off from summit at 7:15am, I don't get to Manchester till 8:45 most mornings, which is longer than the 45 minutes the train will "Supposidly" take Plus this will skip the bi-weekly car crash that happens and extends that journey another 30-60 minutes Keloran
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree