When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Blackburn delivery driver suffers head blows Darwen hammer attack
HAMMER-wielding thugs left a delivery driver with a deep gash to his head and a suspected broken hand in a lunchtime attack.
Kamil Elfetesi was delivering parcels in Darwen when he was cornered and attacked in the street.
The men, thought to have been wearing balaclavas or scarves to cover their faces, approached the 29-year-old at 1.30pm outside Sudell News, in Sudellside Street, Darwen, police said.
Shop assistant Aris Gen, 33, who witnessed the incident, said the attack had been horrific.
He said: “The delivery man from Collectplus dropped by with some parcels and as he went to get in his car two men wearing balaclavas ran over to him and started hitting him with a hammer.
“It all happened so quickly. The man was screaming for help over and over and they just kept hitting him.
“As I went to help, the delivery man came running into the shop covered in blood.
“It was really scary, I’ve never seen anything like it.
“I called the police and the ambulance to help the man, he was really shaken up.
“I think the attackers could have been local as they just ran away instead of getting into a vehicle. They must have known where to run off to.”
Mr Elfetesi, of Highercroft, Blackburn, who said he was too shaken to talk about Wednesday’s incident, was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital for treatment.
He had to have a deep wound to his head stapled as well as further treatment to a suspected broken hand.
His boss Livio Benlusci, from Collectplus, a delivery service which drops and collects parcels at convenience and corner shops, said: “My driver Kamil suffered serious injuries in an unprovoked attack.
“Two man hit him around the head with a hammer. It’s unbelievable. He is very luckily the injuries were not more severe.”
Detectives are still trying to piece together the circumstances around the attack. Nothing was stolen during the incident.
DS Simon Upton, of Blackburn CID said: “We are still following up several lines of inquiry into how and why this attack happened.
“We have already arrested one man in relation to the offence who has now been bailed.
“I urge anyone who was in the area of Sudell News on Wednesday and witnessed anything suspicious to contact police.”
The attackers were both male and wearing dark clothing.
A 28-year-old man from Blackburn with Darwen has been released on police bail on suspicion of wounding with intent.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Comments are closed on this article.