Lancashire Telegraph£150,000 boost for Lancashire foodbanks (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

£150,000 boost for Lancashire foodbanks

Lancashire Telegraph: County’s foodbanks to benefit County’s foodbanks to benefit

LANCASHIRE County Council will allocate £150,000 to strengthen the infrastructure of foodbanks.

The council approved the decision in a bid to tackle food poverty after demand on Lancashire foodbanks rocketed in the last year.

Cabinet member for health and wellbeing Azhar Ali approved the decision, which will see £150,000 of public health grant funding used to set up a small grants scheme for foodbanks in Lancashire.

The money will not pay directly for food supplies, but provide more of a supportive measure to ensure that foodbanks are able to cope with high demands and do not face the threat of unexpected outgoings alone.

Coun Ali explained that the money would be used to fix delivery vans, provide computer support and support the day-to-day running of the foodbanks in Lancashire that have already helped hundreds of thousands of people.

He said: “The council held consultations with church groups and foodbanks after witnessing the rise of food poverty in Lancashire and the increasing demand on foodbanks.

“We held three foodbank summits in December last year to assess the impact of food poverty in Lancashire and look for opportunities to tackle it.

“Government cuts and austerity mean that people are facing crisis like never before and the council needs to support the foodbanks.”

Mandy Newlove, of Community Solutions, a social enterprise that runs a foodbank based in Hyndburn and Burnley said: “We welcome any cash and support as we are fully reliant on donations.

“It is a good thing that the council are recognising food poverty as a serious issue.

“The money will free up a lot of time for us to work with our clients and find out why they were facing crisis in the first place and try and solve the root cause.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:35pm Mon 19 May 14

Jack Herer says...

I'm all for people being fed who are hard up, but do Labour Councillors really have to lie about the situation to justify tax payer's money being spent to do so? Because when that's the case it just smacks of political point scoring, which just isn't fair when it is at the tax payer's expense.

When Coun Ali says that “government cuts and austerity mean that people are facing crisis like never before,” it just isn't true.

I remember in the 70s and 80s, when there was real poverty. There were no luxuries on the dole. No nothing, but a pittance to get by really.

If we would have had food banks then, they would have been swamped.

The cold hard truth is that, no matter how well the economy is doing, if we have food banks, then people will need them - because there are always people at the rough end in their lives for whatever reason.

That's not to say we shouldn't have them - just let's not pretend this kind of requirement is a new thing, because it isn't. If food banks are required now, they were doubly so twenty five years ago.

I am most definitely against Labour's political point scoring from food banks however, and especially their willingness to spend tax payers money to essentially achieve that end.

Do Labour genuinely have nothing positive to add to politics anymore?

They are certainly a rudderless mess with wet Ed in charge.
I'm all for people being fed who are hard up, but do Labour Councillors really have to lie about the situation to justify tax payer's money being spent to do so? Because when that's the case it just smacks of political point scoring, which just isn't fair when it is at the tax payer's expense. When Coun Ali says that “government cuts and austerity mean that people are facing crisis like never before,” it just isn't true. I remember in the 70s and 80s, when there was real poverty. There were no luxuries on the dole. No nothing, but a pittance to get by really. If we would have had food banks then, they would have been swamped. The cold hard truth is that, no matter how well the economy is doing, if we have food banks, then people will need them - because there are always people at the rough end in their lives for whatever reason. That's not to say we shouldn't have them - just let's not pretend this kind of requirement is a new thing, because it isn't. If food banks are required now, they were doubly so twenty five years ago. I am most definitely against Labour's political point scoring from food banks however, and especially their willingness to spend tax payers money to essentially achieve that end. Do Labour genuinely have nothing positive to add to politics anymore? They are certainly a rudderless mess with wet Ed in charge. Jack Herer
  • Score: 3

9:11pm Mon 19 May 14

wilddog says...

Charity begins at home Mr Prime minister! Stop giving our money away and spend it here!
Charity begins at home Mr Prime minister! Stop giving our money away and spend it here! wilddog
  • Score: 9

9:42pm Mon 19 May 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa.
1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet
2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you.
3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation
4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment.
5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw.
6. They all have mobile phones
7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work

I could carry on with the list all day.
Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes.
Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank
these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa. 1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet 2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you. 3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation 4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment. 5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw. 6. They all have mobile phones 7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work I could carry on with the list all day. Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes. Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -7

10:04pm Mon 19 May 14

wilddog says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa.
1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet
2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you.
3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation
4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment.
5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw.
6. They all have mobile phones
7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work

I could carry on with the list all day.
Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes.
Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank
I have seen people pull up round corners in their cars and called at food banks too so understand your point.
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa. 1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet 2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you. 3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation 4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment. 5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw. 6. They all have mobile phones 7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work I could carry on with the list all day. Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes. Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank[/p][/quote]I have seen people pull up round corners in their cars and called at food banks too so understand your point. wilddog
  • Score: -3

7:20am Tue 20 May 14

BuckoTheMoose says...

Taxpayers money should not be spent in this manner. Foodbanks are charities, but the minute they start to take tax payers money they become an NGO and cease to be a charity.

Real charities make do with public donations because the pubic see them as worthwhile cause and are happy to contribute.

I gave up donating to charity a long time ago as the government has started taking my money and donating it on my behalf, wether I like it or not. Usually to rubbish
Taxpayers money should not be spent in this manner. Foodbanks are charities, but the minute they start to take tax payers money they become an NGO and cease to be a charity. Real charities make do with public donations because the pubic see them as worthwhile cause and are happy to contribute. I gave up donating to charity a long time ago as the government has started taking my money and donating it on my behalf, wether I like it or not. Usually to rubbish BuckoTheMoose
  • Score: 0

7:52am Tue 20 May 14

Chris P Bacon says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa.
1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet
2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you.
3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation
4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment.
5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw.
6. They all have mobile phones
7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work

I could carry on with the list all day.
Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes.
Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank
1. There is no possible way you can state with any authority what % of foodbankers smoke.
2. Show us your documented, peer-reviewed statistics on that % selling their lifelines. Anecdotes will not suffice and the plural of anecdote is NOT evidence.
3. No possible way you can claim that one with anything other than prejudice.
4. Too laughable for comment.
5. You've been in the homes of ALL these recipients, have you?
6. Too stupid for words.
7. You probably would carry on all day, wouldn't you?

While I see you have made a rudimentary effort to form more cogent and legible arguments, you don't do yourself any favours here. As I have been in only one Blackburn pub in my life - and that wasn't in this century - I can't claim the insight you want us to believe you have and that raises the question, why do you spend so many days in Blackburn's pubs to claim an authority on this issue?

I get your point, to some extent; there are those who abuse charity and free-loaders of the worst sort out there. That doesn't render those genuine cases unworthy though. You're tarring everyone with the same brush because you have seen some shady practices. The fact this facility is necessary is a damning indictment of the current social situation in this country and an stain on the nation's very soul inflicted by an uncaring, help-the-rich, force-people-into-po
verty-then-castigate
-them self-serving government. It's the lederene swine you need to denigrate, not the victims of their shady practices. Only useful idiots do that job for them.
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa. 1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet 2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you. 3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation 4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment. 5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw. 6. They all have mobile phones 7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work I could carry on with the list all day. Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes. Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank[/p][/quote]1. There is no possible way you can state with any authority what % of foodbankers smoke. 2. Show us your documented, peer-reviewed statistics on that % selling their lifelines. Anecdotes will not suffice and the plural of anecdote is NOT evidence. 3. No possible way you can claim that one with anything other than prejudice. 4. Too laughable for comment. 5. You've been in the homes of ALL these recipients, have you? 6. Too stupid for words. 7. You probably would carry on all day, wouldn't you? While I see you have made a rudimentary effort to form more cogent and legible arguments, you don't do yourself any favours here. As I have been in only one Blackburn pub in my life - and that wasn't in this century - I can't claim the insight you want us to believe you have and that raises the question, why do you spend so many days in Blackburn's pubs to claim an authority on this issue? I get your point, to some extent; there are those who abuse charity and free-loaders of the worst sort out there. That doesn't render those genuine cases unworthy though. You're tarring everyone with the same brush because you have seen some shady practices. The fact this facility is necessary is a damning indictment of the current social situation in this country and an stain on the nation's very soul inflicted by an uncaring, help-the-rich, force-people-into-po verty-then-castigate -them self-serving government. It's the lederene swine you need to denigrate, not the victims of their shady practices. Only useful idiots do that job for them. Chris P Bacon
  • Score: 8

9:09am Tue 20 May 14

BuckoTheMoose says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa.
1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet
2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you.
3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation
4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment.
5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw.
6. They all have mobile phones
7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work

I could carry on with the list all day.
Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes.
Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank
1. There is no possible way you can state with any authority what % of foodbankers smoke.
2. Show us your documented, peer-reviewed statistics on that % selling their lifelines. Anecdotes will not suffice and the plural of anecdote is NOT evidence.
3. No possible way you can claim that one with anything other than prejudice.
4. Too laughable for comment.
5. You've been in the homes of ALL these recipients, have you?
6. Too stupid for words.
7. You probably would carry on all day, wouldn't you?

While I see you have made a rudimentary effort to form more cogent and legible arguments, you don't do yourself any favours here. As I have been in only one Blackburn pub in my life - and that wasn't in this century - I can't claim the insight you want us to believe you have and that raises the question, why do you spend so many days in Blackburn's pubs to claim an authority on this issue?

I get your point, to some extent; there are those who abuse charity and free-loaders of the worst sort out there. That doesn't render those genuine cases unworthy though. You're tarring everyone with the same brush because you have seen some shady practices. The fact this facility is necessary is a damning indictment of the current social situation in this country and an stain on the nation's very soul inflicted by an uncaring, help-the-rich, force-people-into-po

verty-then-castigate

-them self-serving government. It's the lederene swine you need to denigrate, not the victims of their shady practices. Only useful idiots do that job for them.
"Why do you spend so long in Blackburn pubs?"

I used to work full time in pubs and while I can't speak for everyone on benefits as they are not all the same, there is a large subculture of people that fit perfectly well within what has been written above.

It may not be 100% accurate (and to suggest it should be peer reveiwed is rubbish) but I can vouch for a lot of what he says being correct for a lot of people
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: these people are not in absolute poverty. People in this country are in living like kings compered to people who live in Africa. 1. 90% of people who go to foodbanks smoke, cost £ 8 a packet 2. 25 % of foodbankers sell their hand -out to fund cans and fags, you go into any pub in Blackburn during the day and it won't be long until one of them come to you. 3. They also seem to use taxi as their means of transportation, the most expensive mode of transportation 4. When you see them shopping for food their baskets are always full of junk rubish that takes the least amount of effort to prepare usually something that you just add water to, offering the least nourishment. 5. Every one of them have TVs with either sky or freeveiw. 6. They all have mobile phones 7. Most of them are usually dirty and don't even look like they, want to work I could carry on with the list all day. Please believe me these people are the architects of there own problems, everything I have said above is the truth seen with my own eyes. Please wait and think before you leave a donation to the food bank[/p][/quote]1. There is no possible way you can state with any authority what % of foodbankers smoke. 2. Show us your documented, peer-reviewed statistics on that % selling their lifelines. Anecdotes will not suffice and the plural of anecdote is NOT evidence. 3. No possible way you can claim that one with anything other than prejudice. 4. Too laughable for comment. 5. You've been in the homes of ALL these recipients, have you? 6. Too stupid for words. 7. You probably would carry on all day, wouldn't you? While I see you have made a rudimentary effort to form more cogent and legible arguments, you don't do yourself any favours here. As I have been in only one Blackburn pub in my life - and that wasn't in this century - I can't claim the insight you want us to believe you have and that raises the question, why do you spend so many days in Blackburn's pubs to claim an authority on this issue? I get your point, to some extent; there are those who abuse charity and free-loaders of the worst sort out there. That doesn't render those genuine cases unworthy though. You're tarring everyone with the same brush because you have seen some shady practices. The fact this facility is necessary is a damning indictment of the current social situation in this country and an stain on the nation's very soul inflicted by an uncaring, help-the-rich, force-people-into-po verty-then-castigate -them self-serving government. It's the lederene swine you need to denigrate, not the victims of their shady practices. Only useful idiots do that job for them.[/p][/quote]"Why do you spend so long in Blackburn pubs?" I used to work full time in pubs and while I can't speak for everyone on benefits as they are not all the same, there is a large subculture of people that fit perfectly well within what has been written above. It may not be 100% accurate (and to suggest it should be peer reveiwed is rubbish) but I can vouch for a lot of what he says being correct for a lot of people BuckoTheMoose
  • Score: -4

12:02pm Tue 20 May 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

Thank you at last, someone who is awake.
Thank you at last, someone who is awake. 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree