Lancashire TelegraphTories: Council failed to support Darwen Vale high school (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Tories: Council failed to support Darwen Vale high school

Lancashire Telegraph: Darwen Vale High School Darwen Vale High School

EDUCATION bosses have been accused of failing to support Darwen Vale High when it needed help.

Tory spokeswoman Denise Gee led the attack on Labour chiefs at Blackburn with Darwen Council, as the executive called for a ballot on all future proposals to convert local authority schools to independent academies.

Executive member for schools, Dave Harling, successfully proposed a motion to the full Blackburn with Darwen council forum because of the ‘recent upset over the enforced conversion of Darwen Vale School to an academy’.

Fernhurst ward Tory John Slater backed his colleague’s criticism of the Labour administration and called for Coun Harling’s resignation.

Coun Gee said: “It should never have got to this stage. Where was the support for Darwen Vale when it needed it?

“When the council produced an improvement plan after Ofsted judged the school ‘inadequate’, inspectors said that it was ‘not fit for purpose’.”

Coun Slater said: “I stand by my call for Coun Harling to resign.

“Not enough was done by the council to support Darwen Vale.”

Coun Harling said the inspectors were only concerned that some of the council’s improvement plan duplicated the school’s own proposals.

He said it was wrong for a school to be forced into an academy when parents and the local community opposed it, as with Darwen Vale.

Coun Harling said: “This government talks about localism and parental choice, but education secretary Michael Gove doesn’t believe in it.

“He just forces schools like Darwen Vale to take academy status and chooses their sponsor, in this case the Aldridge Foundation, for them.

“Parents should have a ballot on both academy status and who the sponsor should be.

“Darwen Vale has been improving following the Ofsted report and would be judged differently now.”

He accepted an amendment from LibDem leader David Foster calling for any consultation on Darwen Vale’s future sponsor to be run independently of the Aldridge Foundation.

Tory group leader Mike Lee said after the meeting: “Our view is if the council had acted sooner, the school would never have been judged inadequate and there would have been no question about it being forced to become an academy.

“What matters is the quality of the pupils’ education not who runs Darwen Vale.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:32am Sun 2 Feb 14

mavrick says...

I can't believe the Tories at national level have forgot that they did not win the election. The Local Tories base their political responses on spite. They have forced their ideals on the School system simply because they want a two tier system.
I can't believe the Tories at national level have forgot that they did not win the election. The Local Tories base their political responses on spite. They have forced their ideals on the School system simply because they want a two tier system. mavrick
  • Score: -2

11:16am Sun 2 Feb 14

happycyclist says...

We've been conned into thinking that education is a political issue. It isn't. It's an education issue. Put the politics aside, you tiresome bores, and do what is best for the next generation of children.
We've been conned into thinking that education is a political issue. It isn't. It's an education issue. Put the politics aside, you tiresome bores, and do what is best for the next generation of children. happycyclist
  • Score: 4

8:42pm Sun 2 Feb 14

DGower says...

Is it any wonder that the number of Local Authority schools are dwindling with such levels of service from BwDBC. If there was ever a case for more academies and free schools, this article proves it.
Is it any wonder that the number of Local Authority schools are dwindling with such levels of service from BwDBC. If there was ever a case for more academies and free schools, this article proves it. DGower
  • Score: 1

6:29am Mon 3 Feb 14

louderfasterlonger says...

DGower wrote:
Is it any wonder that the number of Local Authority schools are dwindling with such levels of service from BwDBC. If there was ever a case for more academies and free schools, this article proves it.
Utter nonsense.. and a very politically biased story.. Ofsted reported that the school was improving. Backed up by the 8% increase in results. It is Conservative policy to place ALL schools into the private sector. Pure and simple.
[quote][p][bold]DGower[/bold] wrote: Is it any wonder that the number of Local Authority schools are dwindling with such levels of service from BwDBC. If there was ever a case for more academies and free schools, this article proves it.[/p][/quote]Utter nonsense.. and a very politically biased story.. Ofsted reported that the school was improving. Backed up by the 8% increase in results. It is Conservative policy to place ALL schools into the private sector. Pure and simple. louderfasterlonger
  • Score: 1

8:14pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Read all about it ..... says...

Sadly Darwen Vale is not the only school in BwD falling into the Academy bracket. St. Luke & St. Philips in Blackburn and St. Barnabas in Darwen are just two in recent months that have been reported on by the LT. What is happening to the education system in BwD? Any comments from School Improvement Officers and Education Chiefs in the authority would be welcome!
Sadly Darwen Vale is not the only school in BwD falling into the Academy bracket. St. Luke & St. Philips in Blackburn and St. Barnabas in Darwen are just two in recent months that have been reported on by the LT. What is happening to the education system in BwD? Any comments from School Improvement Officers and Education Chiefs in the authority would be welcome! Read all about it .....
  • Score: 0

10:39pm Mon 3 Feb 14

DGower says...

You cannot argue with the fact that DVHS is where it is - irrespective of an 8% improvement in results. You can't use this argument when there has been years of neglect by BwDBC that has led to this school being in this position. It may well have an 8% increase but clearly it is still not good enough to stay out of an "inadequate" rating. A case of too little, too late.
You cannot argue with the fact that DVHS is where it is - irrespective of an 8% improvement in results. You can't use this argument when there has been years of neglect by BwDBC that has led to this school being in this position. It may well have an 8% increase but clearly it is still not good enough to stay out of an "inadequate" rating. A case of too little, too late. DGower
  • Score: 1

12:59am Wed 5 Feb 14

english rose 1 says...

Read all about it ..... wrote:
Sadly Darwen Vale is not the only school in BwD falling into the Academy bracket. St. Luke & St. Philips in Blackburn and St. Barnabas in Darwen are just two in recent months that have been reported on by the LT. What is happening to the education system in BwD? Any comments from School Improvement Officers and Education Chiefs in the authority would be welcome!
Schools all round the country (not just in BwD) are becoming Acadamies because they get increased funding compared to other schools. The Govt are basically 'bribing' schools.
*
The increased funding for Academies is taken from the budget of other schools.
[quote][p][bold]Read all about it .....[/bold] wrote: Sadly Darwen Vale is not the only school in BwD falling into the Academy bracket. St. Luke & St. Philips in Blackburn and St. Barnabas in Darwen are just two in recent months that have been reported on by the LT. What is happening to the education system in BwD? Any comments from School Improvement Officers and Education Chiefs in the authority would be welcome![/p][/quote]Schools all round the country (not just in BwD) are becoming Acadamies because they get increased funding compared to other schools. The Govt are basically 'bribing' schools. * The increased funding for Academies is taken from the budget of other schools. english rose 1
  • Score: -1

1:06am Wed 5 Feb 14

english rose 1 says...

DGower wrote:
You cannot argue with the fact that DVHS is where it is - irrespective of an 8% improvement in results. You can't use this argument when there has been years of neglect by BwDBC that has led to this school being in this position. It may well have an 8% increase but clearly it is still not good enough to stay out of an "inadequate" rating. A case of too little, too late.
But you are totally ignoring the recent huge improvement and the great work of the fantastic new headteacher (since the school moved back into the refurbished building from the outdated Moorland). BwDBC didn't appoint the previous Head !
*
Quite clearly, despite what you say, the school has NOT been failing for some time. So why FORCE it down a route that no-one, apart from the Tories, want ? What happens if an Academy is deemed as 'failing' ?? Does the Govt then say 'oh, sorry, it must go back into the fold of the education authority ?? Not a chance.
*
It's pure dogma.
[quote][p][bold]DGower[/bold] wrote: You cannot argue with the fact that DVHS is where it is - irrespective of an 8% improvement in results. You can't use this argument when there has been years of neglect by BwDBC that has led to this school being in this position. It may well have an 8% increase but clearly it is still not good enough to stay out of an "inadequate" rating. A case of too little, too late.[/p][/quote]But you are totally ignoring the recent huge improvement and the great work of the fantastic new headteacher (since the school moved back into the refurbished building from the outdated Moorland). BwDBC didn't appoint the previous Head ! * Quite clearly, despite what you say, the school has NOT been failing for some time. So why FORCE it down a route that no-one, apart from the Tories, want ? What happens if an Academy is deemed as 'failing' ?? Does the Govt then say 'oh, sorry, it must go back into the fold of the education authority ?? Not a chance. * It's pure dogma. english rose 1
  • Score: 2

8:31am Wed 5 Feb 14

DGower says...

Clearly the School Improvement team at BwDBC have not done much School Improvement at DVHS.

I am not blaming the new Headteacher, I am blaming a local authority in steep decline that didn't spot the downward trend at DVHS. Or indeed if they did spot the downward trend, didn't have it in them to turn it around.
Clearly the School Improvement team at BwDBC have not done much School Improvement at DVHS. I am not blaming the new Headteacher, I am blaming a local authority in steep decline that didn't spot the downward trend at DVHS. Or indeed if they did spot the downward trend, didn't have it in them to turn it around. DGower
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree