When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Mum left shaken as midnight blaze tears through Accrington outhouse
A MOTHER and son’s home was plunged into darkness seconds before they saw 15ft flames ripping through a building outside.
Ann Raynor and her 21-year-old son Cavan Hughes were watching late night television at Entwisle Road, Accrington, when Cavan said he could smell burning.
The 57-year-old shop assistant doubted him until the power went off.
The pair went into the kitchen of their end terrace home and could hear the crackling of flames.
Cavan went outside and saw the brick outhouse on fire, just feet away from the house.
Firefighters were called just before midnight on Monday but the outhouse was destroyed and the charred remains of golf clubs, tools and shelving remained yesterday afternoon.
The blaze did not damage their home but Ann said she was shaken up.
She said: “It was a scary experience. It’s a good job my son was here because I just went into panic mode.
“He went outside and then came running back in saying the shed was on fire. I couldn’t get my mobile to work but I think a passer-by called the fire service.
“My husband Gerry is working away in Northern Ireland. I had to ring and tell him what was happening.”
Boxer Cavan said the fire was the latest in an series of unfortunate events.
He said: “I just want to move away from Accrington. It’s just one thing after the other. We were broken into last year and they took everything. I was glassed at random two weeks ago and now this.
“The firemen said if the guttering had caught fire it would have spread to the roof and then it would have been a different story. The flames were 15-feet high.”
The fire was being treated as suspicious, according to the fire service.
But Ann added: “There was somebody hanging around 30 minutes before the fire and I put two and two together. But the shed was still padlocked so they couldn’t have got in. They think it might have been electrical so they are going to examine it. It’s wired up because I used to have a dryer in there but nothing was plugged in.”
Comments are closed on this article.