When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Darwen man admits murdering his father
10:00am Saturday 10th August 2013 in News
A MAN has admitted murdering his father in a ‘brutal’ attack.
Anthony Hughes, 31, pleaded guilty to killing his 60-year-old dad Brian and causing him fatal head injuries at his home in Darwen.
Brian’s battered body was discovered in an alleyway near to his flat in The Lea shortly before 3.30am on March 31.
The ‘callous and sustained’ attack started in the property before spilling out into the street. Mr Hughes was pronounced dead at the scene.
Hughes, of Thirteenth Avenue, Hightown, in West Yorkshire, admitted the charge of murder at a hearing a Preston Crown Court yesterday.
He is due to be sentenced on September 30 - the day he had been due to stand trial.
Defending, Peter Wright QC said there had always been no issue about responsibility for the killing.
He said: "Matters that have required consideration concerned whether there was a medical issue in this case or alternatively, this may be a case involving loss of control.
“Mr Hughes then indicated he wished to plead guilty at the earliest possible opportunity.
"There has been no prevarication on the part of the defendant."
Both the prosecution and the defence asked for the case to be adjourned for other aspects of the case, such as victim personal statements, to be compiled.
Judge Stuart Baker told Hughes that he would continue to be remanded in custody.
Hughes, who had been temporarily staying with his father, was arrested the day after the murder As part of the investigation detectives searched drains to collect evidence as well as carrying out a detailed forensic examination of Mr Hughes’s home.
Brian Bibby, who had been friends with Mr Hughes since the age of 11, said the guilty plea was a relief for those who knew him.
The artist, of Cemetery Road, Darwen, said: “We cannot change the fact that this happened to Brian, but this is justice for him..
“I am pleased we will not have to give evidence at a trial now.
“I will remember Brian as a great character and a very good friend.”
Det Insp Andy Hulme, from Lancashire Police’s force major investigation team, said: “I am pleased that Anthony Hughes has pleaded guilty as it saves the family from having to go to court and listen to a full trial.
“This was a callous and sustained attack on an innocent man.
“Anthony Hughes has shown absolutely no regard for his father and now faces a considerable custodial sentence which reflects what he has done.
“I would like to thank the Crown Prosecution Service and counsel for their work on this case and finally pay tribute to the family and friends of Brian Hughes who have been through a very difficult time but remained dignified throughout.”