When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Future of Clitheroe bonfire to be reviewed
1:12pm Monday 18th March 2013 in News
THE future of Clitheroe bonfire will be decided at the end of an independent review.
It comes after Ribble Valley councillors could not agree on whether the event should be limited to 5,000 people with potential for a further 1,000 if a satisfactory traffic management plan could be put in place.
Coun Mary Robinson, who represents the Primrose ward, said she believed the event could hold more spectators.
She said: “I was delighted that it went for an independent review, it is excellent news.
“The capacity should be considerably higher than 6,000.
“The problem, in my opinion, is that if you close the gates at 6,000, people will be arguing and fighting and, moreover, people will stand in the road and that will be far more dangerous.”
The bonfire, which is held in the grounds at Clitheroe Castle, was cancelled last year over safety concerns and a need to control crowds.
The Ribble Valley Safety Advisory Group will meet to discuss plans for this year’s bonfire tomorrow.
It is not yet known who will carry out the independent review.
Comments are closed on this article.