When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Mum rescues baby daughter from burning Oswaldtwistle bedroom
A MOTHER rescued her five-month-old daughter from a cot in a burning bedroom.
The 23-year-old woman heard the smoke alarm in time to get her baby and three-year-old son out of the terraced property in Ripon Road, Oswaldtwistle.
Firefighters said the blaze was started by an electrical appl- iance which set light to the children’s toys and wrecked the back bedroom.
Neighbour Angela Byrom said: “I’m so glad they’re all all right.
“I’ve got young children myself and it’s so worrying when these things happen.
“It’s terrible about what has happened to their house, but as long as the family are okay then it isn’t so bad.”
Emergency services are now urging people to ensure that smoke alarms are working.
PC Lee Haworth, of Lancashire Police, said: “Lives were most certainly saved by the smoke alarm.
“Early detection can mean the difference between life and death.
“Make sure your’s is in working order.”
Acting watch manager Andy Pennington said: “If the woman hadn’t known about the fire as soon as she did, the room would’ve filled with smoke.
“This would have made it very difficult and dangerous for her to reach her young child.
“If your smoke alarm isn’t working or you don’t have one, get in touch with your local fire station and they will come and fit you one.”
Comments are closed on this article.