A SLAUGHTERMAN who subjected a student nurse to a campaign of terror even though he was banned from contacting her, has been released from jail.

Burnley Crown Court heard how Kevin Wilkinson, 25, had threatened ex-partner Faye Harrison with death and told her he would set her on fire, torch her home, kill her brother and put a bullet in her father.

He had repeatedly flouted a restraining order made by the town’s magistrates and carried out a catalogue of bullying behaviour, aimed at intimidating and controlling his scared victim.

Wilkinson, who had been dumped by Miss Harrison after a brief relationship, had got back together with her after the order was made and carried on tormenting the victim.

The hearing was told Wilkinson’s father had legally kept shotguns at the time and Miss Harrison, 29, who lives in Padiham, told police: “I honestly believe he won’t stop until I’m dead. I don’t know what else to do. I need help. I cannot live my life like this.”

Wilkinson, of Higher Ramsgreave Road, Blackburn, admitted seven counts of breaching a restraining order. The defendant, who has been on remand since last October, was given 34 weeks in prison, suspended for two years, with two years’ supervision and the Building Better Relationships programme, run by the probation service.

He must pay a £100 victim surcharge.

Judge Jonathan Gibson, extended the restraining order until January 2015, said the suspended term would provide him with the supervision and intensive input needed for the protection of any future partner.

Sarah Statham, prosecuting, said Miss Harrison ended a two-month relationship with the defendant last May and he started harassing her. He was convicted last May 28 and the justices imposed the two-year restraining order.

Wilkinson and Miss Harrison then resumed their relationship in early June but by July it had turned sour and after it ended the threats of violence and death resumed.

Miss Harrison had to be escorted to her car by security staff after university lectures.

Thomas Gilbart, defending, urged the court to impose a suspended sentence.

The defendant’s pre- sentence report stated Wilkinson recognised he had a deep-seated problem with relationships and that he radically needed to change.