AN electrical fault is believed to have caused a fridge to set alight at a home in Blackburn.

Firefighters were called to the house in Ravens Wood, Wensley Fold, at around 11.10pm on New Year’s Day after a call from the occupier.

Crew manager Jonathan Ashton said: “We believe the fan in the fridge burnt out causing the fire.

“The man in the property heard a bang and called us out after smelling burning electrics.

“The man, believed to be in his 50s, was in the property at the time of the fire.

“The fridge was alight when we arrived and caused damage to the kitchen and the units, but the man had closed the internal doors in the house which minimised further damage to the property.”

Fire crews were at the house for around an hour.