East Lancashire jobs at risk under plans to scrap NHS Direct

First published in News

HEALTH workers in East Lancashire could lose their jobs as a result of plans to scrap the medical helpline NHS Direct.

NHS Direct confirmed that centres in Carlisle, Dudley, Exeter, Milton Keynes and Middlebrook in Bolton, will be used to provide the replacement NHS 111 service,.

But the future of 25 other sites, including one based at the Royal Blackburn Hospital, is uncertain. It is thought 12 people work at the Blackburn centre.

Sandra Maxwell, Unison's convenor at NHS Direct, said: "Hundreds of dedicated nursing and NHS professionals are to be made redundant at a huge cost, when their skills could be used within the new NHS111 service if only the Department of Health took some decisive action."

National officer Michael Walker said: "The Secretary of State for Health should step in and stop this disaster immediately. We need action and we need it now.

"Axing dedicated hard-working nurses is never a good idea at any time, but this will directly impact on patient care. There is no doubt that patients will suffer as a result of this move."

Nick Chapman, NHS Direct chief executive, said: "We have not confirmed that any sites are closing. At this stage we have confirmed which sites we will be keeping open to deliver NHS 111 in the areas where we have been commissioned to provide the service.”

He said: “Home working will be an option for some of our nurses as an alternative to working from a site.

"The future of other NHS Direct sites has not been decided. We are in discussion with the Department of Health and the NHS Commissioning Board about the future of other non-111 services that we could be asked to deliver before making decisions."

Every year, NHS Direct answers 4.2 million calls for health advice and information for patients in England.

Healthcare professionals, nurses, and dental advisers give expert information and advice over the phone and are available 365 days a year.

The new phone number is intended to work in a 'more efficient' and integrated way with local GPs, ambulance services and hospitals, providing health advice and information about out-of-hours GPs, walk-in centres, emergency dentists and 24 hour chemists.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:42pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Pinky&theBrain says...

111 more efficient? I think not.
Years ago I could ring my Doctor and speak to a GP or a nurse, get some advice and maybe a prescription. Now I've to ring 111, who after 15 mins of stupid questioning tell me I cant speak to a doctor, I've to go to the urgent care centre, I get seen by a nurse after waiting 3 hours who asks me the same questions then tells me I need to see a doctor, so I wait another half hour to an hour and see a GP who gives me some advice and tells me this could have been done over the phone, and next time ask to speak to the doctor... Which is where I started half a day ago.
111 more efficient? I think not. Years ago I could ring my Doctor and speak to a GP or a nurse, get some advice and maybe a prescription. Now I've to ring 111, who after 15 mins of stupid questioning tell me I cant speak to a doctor, I've to go to the urgent care centre, I get seen by a nurse after waiting 3 hours who asks me the same questions then tells me I need to see a doctor, so I wait another half hour to an hour and see a GP who gives me some advice and tells me this could have been done over the phone, and next time ask to speak to the doctor... Which is where I started half a day ago. Pinky&theBrain
  • Score: 3

6:37pm Sat 10 Nov 12

mavrick says...

This is the result of poor management, yet we continue to let the same management carry on regardless. I have to say when NHS direct was being set up I was a critic and sadly I have been proved right. The mismanagement of the NHS is criminal. The under funding by the coalition is even worse. I am afraid incompetence will be the downfall of the NHS. We need people to start writing to their M.Ps and joining protests to let them know it is our NHS and we won't allow it to be dismantled and mismanaged any more.
This is the result of poor management, yet we continue to let the same management carry on regardless. I have to say when NHS direct was being set up I was a critic and sadly I have been proved right. The mismanagement of the NHS is criminal. The under funding by the coalition is even worse. I am afraid incompetence will be the downfall of the NHS. We need people to start writing to their M.Ps and joining protests to let them know it is our NHS and we won't allow it to be dismantled and mismanaged any more. mavrick
  • Score: 0

8:04pm Sat 10 Nov 12

2 for 5p says...

Get the pens out and practice signing ,then make a note in the diary ever 2nd Thursday .
Then you will be all prepared.
Get the pens out and practice signing ,then make a note in the diary ever 2nd Thursday . Then you will be all prepared. 2 for 5p
  • Score: 0

11:29am Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious.

Let's look at some immediate benefits:

What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight.

People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant.

We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless.

All in all, a brighter, happier world.

What say you good people?
I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious. Let's look at some immediate benefits: What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight. People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant. We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless. All in all, a brighter, happier world. What say you good people? Chris P Bacon
  • Score: -1

11:41am Sun 11 Nov 12

Izanears says...

NHS Direct. Yet another example of NU LIBOURS money wasting schemes.
NHS Direct. Yet another example of NU LIBOURS money wasting schemes. Izanears
  • Score: 1

4:05pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Elegant1 says...

mavrick wrote:
This is the result of poor management, yet we continue to let the same management carry on regardless. I have to say when NHS direct was being set up I was a critic and sadly I have been proved right. The mismanagement of the NHS is criminal. The under funding by the coalition is even worse. I am afraid incompetence will be the downfall of the NHS. We need people to start writing to their M.Ps and joining protests to let them know it is our NHS and we won't allow it to be dismantled and mismanaged any more.
It was odds on that the NHS would be destroyed by this uncaring goverment. They just do not care what happens to the public or the NHS. Who was it that said "There will be no top down reorganisation of the NHS"" what has happened? Exactly that!
Those that voted for the unelected swill that are now running this country will, like the rest of us, have to suffer the consequences of doing so. Thatcher's children will do exacly what she taught them! Roll on 2015!
[quote][p][bold]mavrick[/bold] wrote: This is the result of poor management, yet we continue to let the same management carry on regardless. I have to say when NHS direct was being set up I was a critic and sadly I have been proved right. The mismanagement of the NHS is criminal. The under funding by the coalition is even worse. I am afraid incompetence will be the downfall of the NHS. We need people to start writing to their M.Ps and joining protests to let them know it is our NHS and we won't allow it to be dismantled and mismanaged any more.[/p][/quote]It was odds on that the NHS would be destroyed by this uncaring goverment. They just do not care what happens to the public or the NHS. Who was it that said "There will be no top down reorganisation of the NHS"" what has happened? Exactly that! Those that voted for the unelected swill that are now running this country will, like the rest of us, have to suffer the consequences of doing so. Thatcher's children will do exacly what she taught them! Roll on 2015! Elegant1
  • Score: 0

4:11pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Elegant1 says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious.

Let's look at some immediate benefits:

What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight.

People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant.

We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless.

All in all, a brighter, happier world.

What say you good people?
Now! let me guess. I bet you voted Labour last time round? How selfish and ignorant can you be to say a "Survival of the fittest society will make everyone happy and content"? Never heard such a load of crap!
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious. Let's look at some immediate benefits: What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight. People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant. We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless. All in all, a brighter, happier world. What say you good people?[/p][/quote]Now! let me guess. I bet you voted Labour last time round? How selfish and ignorant can you be to say a "Survival of the fittest society will make everyone happy and content"? Never heard such a load of crap! Elegant1
  • Score: 1

8:14pm Sun 11 Nov 12

mavrick says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious.

Let's look at some immediate benefits:

What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight.

People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant.

We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless.

All in all, a brighter, happier world.

What say you good people?
It seems that the 1939 Nazi poison is spreading like rampant cancer in this country. We fought a world war to make life better for the next generation. The reason we gave so much was to prevent this type of hatred and selfish greed. There are better ways to manage the NHS and it is not carrying on with the cuts and same old managers. The NHS should be above politics. It is a national emblem with a clear statement to the world we are a caring nation. Despite the coalitions attack on the funding level of the NHS.
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious. Let's look at some immediate benefits: What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight. People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant. We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless. All in all, a brighter, happier world. What say you good people?[/p][/quote]It seems that the 1939 Nazi poison is spreading like rampant cancer in this country. We fought a world war to make life better for the next generation. The reason we gave so much was to prevent this type of hatred and selfish greed. There are better ways to manage the NHS and it is not carrying on with the cuts and same old managers. The NHS should be above politics. It is a national emblem with a clear statement to the world we are a caring nation. Despite the coalitions attack on the funding level of the NHS. mavrick
  • Score: 1

9:10pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Good call says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious.

Let's look at some immediate benefits:

What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight.

People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant.

We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless.

All in all, a brighter, happier world.

What say you good people?
I say that you are a eugenics lover and wouldnt be out of place at a meeting of the Bilderberg Group.
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious. Let's look at some immediate benefits: What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight. People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant. We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless. All in all, a brighter, happier world. What say you good people?[/p][/quote]I say that you are a eugenics lover and wouldnt be out of place at a meeting of the Bilderberg Group. Good call
  • Score: 3

9:11pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

Elegant1 wrote:
Chris P Bacon wrote:
I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious.

Let's look at some immediate benefits:

What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight.

People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant.

We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless.

All in all, a brighter, happier world.

What say you good people?
Now! let me guess. I bet you voted Labour last time round? How selfish and ignorant can you be to say a "Survival of the fittest society will make everyone happy and content"? Never heard such a load of crap!
I'm most certainly not 'saying' anything here, since I'm writing and I've never alluded to the fact that a 'Survival (sic) of the fittest society will make everyone happy and content' despite that being what you'd like me to have written to help YOUR argument. If you don't put words in my mouth and deal with what I've written (if you have the intellect to do so), then you may be treated with some respect. As it is, you've thrown out political garbage (you're wrong; I never voted Labour last time) and then failed to follow up with a coherent point of your own.

Do you want another try or will you be content to hide behind the Floreat Inertia flag?
[quote][p][bold]Elegant1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: I think the NHS should be scrapped. People may think I'm joking or trying to get a reaction but I'm serious. Let's look at some immediate benefits: What's the biggest single cause of immigration into the UK? The NHS. We take it for granted and don't understand the toll an illness, disease or sickness has in any country without a socialised medicine service. A cancer for instance would wipe out a family's finances in paying for it. Therefore, the UK is a prime destination and I am not writing about 'health tourism; here but actual immigrants who obtain British citizenship. The NHS ends, so does the clamour for domicile here overnight. People's indulgences in their weaknesses would see a weeding out the weakest and install a 'survival of the fittest' society that would make us stronger, fitter and more vibrant. We could stop pandering to the smokers, drinkers. druggies, the lazy, feckless and workless. All in all, a brighter, happier world. What say you good people?[/p][/quote]Now! let me guess. I bet you voted Labour last time round? How selfish and ignorant can you be to say a "Survival of the fittest society will make everyone happy and content"? Never heard such a load of crap![/p][/quote]I'm most certainly not 'saying' anything here, since I'm writing and I've never alluded to the fact that a 'Survival (sic) of the fittest society will make everyone happy and content' despite that being what you'd like me to have written to help YOUR argument. If you don't put words in my mouth and deal with what I've written (if you have the intellect to do so), then you may be treated with some respect. As it is, you've thrown out political garbage (you're wrong; I never voted Labour last time) and then failed to follow up with a coherent point of your own. Do you want another try or will you be content to hide behind the Floreat Inertia flag? Chris P Bacon
  • Score: -1

10:31pm Sun 11 Nov 12

DEO VOLENTE says...

I see old " Maverick" has an opinion on this article. Well, well what a suprise, the same old, tired, pathetic, l;eft wing
chicken wing nonsense. The NHS is an utter disgrace. It is being abused on a massive scale, particularly by those who are not entitled to treatment. That is illegal immigrants who should not be in the U.K. in the first place. AS for the opoint that "we fought a World War to m ake things better for the nexr generation". Yes I agree and I will always feel grateful for the brave servicemen and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice to enable me to live in a democracy. However we must accept the fact that there were cowards who refused to take up arms and fight. For example Old Johnny-boy Straumans daddy who I believe sat it out in a prison cell. What a disgrace! Coward, Coward, Coward! who is responsible for a privaliged family member involved in drug dealing! Tut! Tut! Tut!
We deserve better we really do.

Deus Vobiscum.

P.S maverick, my little left whinger look up the meaning of Stockholm Syndrome you will find it interesting. In addition please read "Animal Farm" most enlightening. Fiat Lux
I see old " Maverick" has an opinion on this article. Well, well what a suprise, the same old, tired, pathetic, l;eft wing chicken wing nonsense. The NHS is an utter disgrace. It is being abused on a massive scale, particularly by those who are not entitled to treatment. That is illegal immigrants who should not be in the U.K. in the first place. AS for the opoint that "we fought a World War to m ake things better for the nexr generation". Yes I agree and I will always feel grateful for the brave servicemen and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice to enable me to live in a democracy. However we must accept the fact that there were cowards who refused to take up arms and fight. For example Old Johnny-boy Straumans daddy who I believe sat it out in a prison cell. What a disgrace! Coward, Coward, Coward! who is responsible for a privaliged family member involved in drug dealing! Tut! Tut! Tut! We deserve better we really do. Deus Vobiscum. P.S maverick, my little left whinger look up the meaning of Stockholm Syndrome you will find it interesting. In addition please read "Animal Farm" most enlightening. Fiat Lux DEO VOLENTE
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree