When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Fire rescue drama at Gisburn caravan park
A MAN was rescued from a burning caravan after a fire broke out in Gisburn.
It is understood the blaze, at the Todber Holiday Park, in Burnley Road, happened when a tea towel caught fire while the owner was cooking lunch.
The 65-year-old occupant, who was alone in the static caravan at the time, was pulled to safety by two members of staff, who carried him up the hill and away from danger.
The two neighbouring caravans were also affected by the smoke and heat although nobody was in them when the blaze broke out.
Firefighters received the call shortly before noon yesterday and two crews from Clitheroe and another from Barnoldswick attended.
Acting crew manager Gary Marter, from the Barnoldswick station, said the man’s caravan had been completely destroyed by the flames.
He said: “We got a call that a caravan was on fire with persons reported. When we got there the guy was actually out.
“He had some chest pains and the air ambulance was called to assist, but he was taken to hospital by land ambulance instead.” Nigel Wimpenny, managing director of South Lakeland Parks, which owns the Todber site, said: “The owner of the caravan has been taken to hospital as a precaution after inhaling some smoke and our first thoughts are obviously with him.
“The fire service are currently looking into the damage and the cause of the fire, which we understand from the owner originated in the kitchen when a tea towel caught alight.
“Our main priority is the safety and wellbeing of our owners and holidaymakers, many of whom are currently enjoying a half term break on the park, and the safety of our staff.”