5:30pm Friday 22nd June 2012
By Lisa Woodhouse
A FATHER-of-three was found dead in the shower by a maid while on holiday with friends in Turkey.
David Almond, a 53-year-old mechanic from Oban Drive, Blackburn, died of acute pancreatitis, an inquest heard.
Son Wayne, 30, of Moorgate Street, Mill Hill, said: “He was on a drinking holiday with his mates from the pub. He was quite far into his two-week holiday when he started to experience severe stomach cramps.
“He thought it was probably the food but the pain got so bad he stopped drinking.
“His buddies went out on a boat trip but he left early because he wasn’t feeling well.
“The next morning, his friends went down for breakfast and he said he was going for a shower to freshen up and he would meet them downstairs. That’s the last time they saw him alive.
“He was found by the maid in the shower while his friends were waiting downstairs for him.”
Mr Almond died on May 28, 2011, but a medical explanation for the cause of his death was held up because toxicology results were needed from doctors in the resort of Marmaris.
Wayne said Mr Almond was a big drinker and he had suffered from pancreas problems.
He leaves children Wayne, Sarah and Martin, and grandchildren Nathan, Declan, Corey and Jessica.
Coroner Michael Singleton said he had no drugs or alcohol in his system at the time of death.
He concluded: “David Almond died of acute pancreatitis, and that is a natural cause of death.”
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group