When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Lucky escape for Blackburn fire family
12:05pm Friday 22nd June 2012 in Blackburn
A FAMILY had a ‘very lucky escape’ after a man had decided to cook some chips in the early hours of the morning after having a few drinks, according to the fire service.
The man fell asleep after returning to his home in Skye Crescent, Blackburn, where he lives with his wife and three children, and the pan caught fire.
Firefighters from Blackburn were called at 2.30am yesterday and rescued the family.
There was severe damage to the cooker and smoke damage to the kitchen and the rest of the house.
Watch manager Steve Johnson said: “There were three smoke alarms in the property at Skye Crescent and none of them were working.
“The consequences of that could be potentially fatal. The family had a very lucky escape.”