FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to never pour water over hot oil after a kitchen fire this evening.

Crews were called to the fire at a house in Hollin Street, Blackburn, at about 6.35pm.

The occupants of the house had been cooking food when the oil got too hot in the pans and started to smoke.

They then threw water over the hot oil in an attempt to put out the fire.

Crews from Blackburn arrived and used a fan and hose reel to extinguish the fire.

Two adults and three children were evacuated from the house following the blaze.

The fire caused damage to the cooker, pans and cooker hood.

It has prompted fire crews to warn of the dangers of pouring water over hot oil.

A fire service spokesman said: "The oil had go to hot that they were cooking and started to smoke.

"So the occupants panicked a little and threw water over the hot oil to try and put the fire out.

"But doing this can make the oil spread elsewhere and be even more of a fire hazard.

"So our advice would be to never do this.

"Instead people should turn off the heat on the cooker if safe to do so and then get out of the premises."

There were over 500 cooking fires in Lancashire last year, with many caused by people getting distracted.

For more information, visit