A WARNING has been issued about the dangers of not cleaning cooking equipment after a kitchen fire.

The incident happened at around 6.30pm in Britten Close in Blackburn and two fire crews attended.

The resident had been cooking food in the oven when the blaze ignited.

The smoke alarm went off in the property which allowed the residents to escape.

Neighbours helped to try and extinguish the fire with dry powder but were not successful.

The fire service said food fats had ignited causing the fire to spread.

A fire service spokesman said: "It appears that fat off the food fats had ignited the element and spread externally onto the kitchen worktop.

"Please check your cooking equipment for a build-up of old fat.

"This can be easily ignited.

"Cooking equipment should always be cleaned after use."