FOUR people were injured when an out-of-control car ploughed into fans leaving Ewood Park.

Two young women pedestrians were seriously hurt in the incident involving a white Toyota Yaris near the Blackburn Rovers ground.

One was taken to hospital by air ambulance after the 'horrific' accident.

Hundreds of fans leaving the ground after Rovers 2-0 defeat by Barnsley witnessed the incident and many were praised for coming to the aid of the injured.

Sue Haworth, landlady of the nearby Fox and Hounds pub, said: "It was more than chaos, it was carnage."

The car ran out of control in Livesey Branch Road, Ewood near the McDonald's restaurant at around 5pm on Saturday.

The 'Gyratory System' was sealed off for four hours while police investigated and diversions were in place.

A 51-year-old woman was driving the Yaris in Fernhurst Street when it clipped a grass verge.

The car then entered Livesey Branch Road and collided with the central reservation.

It then struck two pedestrians and a silver Peugeot 308 before coming to stop in Bolton Road, just beyond the Fox and Hounds pub.

One of the pedestrians, a 27-year-old woman from Blackburn, suffered a small bleed to the brain and was taken to hospital.

Her injuries were yesterday not thought to be life-threatening.

A second woman, 24, from Leyland, suffered three fractured ribs.

An 84-year-old man, a passenger in the Toyota, suffered a cut to the head while the driver of the Peugeot, a 70-year-old man from Lancaster, was treated for a cut to his right arm.

The driver of the Toyota, a 51-year-old woman from Clayton-le-Dale, was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and driving while under the influence of drugs, but later released without charge. She was not injured.

Eyewitness 11-year-old Connor Patton, said: "The car came out of Fernhurst Street and then hit someone and then somebody else.

"It appeared to hit the island. It was horrible.

"Then it crashed into another car. It was chaos."

His father Ged, who saw the aftermath of the accident, said: "Connor was frightened.

"A lot of people were injured and it was chaotic."

Mrs Haworth, who witnessed the immediate consequences of the accident, said: "It was more than chaos, it was carnage.

"The car appeared to have come out of the junction, hit someone and then hit the island before colliding with others.

"I have said ever since the council brought the new road system in that it was an accident waiting to happen."

Ewood ward councillor Maureen Bateson said: "It was an horrific and tragic accident. I am deeply upset for the families of those injured.

"I have already discussed with council officers the question of what can be done to protect fans leaving the ground on foot after matches at the request of the supporters club.

"There will be a full investigation by the police and relevant authorities which will look at all aspects of safety."

Several witnesses to the accident and its aftermath commented on the Lancashire Telegraph website.

Many praised the actions of passers-by who went to the aid of the injured.

Don Wharton said: "I literally walked past where it happened 30 seconds before.

"I heard a big bang from the cars bumper smashing the road.

"Turned around saw the white car plough through, one of the girls was on the bonnet and got flipped, legs in the air everything. Lucky to be alive."

Phil G said: "It was horrific. If we had been 30 seconds further up the hill it could have been my nippers that were ploughed into."

Road traffic officer Sgt Claire Pearson said yesterday: "We are investigating a serious road traffic collision in Blackburn.

"Four people suffered various injuries and we want to establish the exact nature of the incident.

"We have spoken to numerous witnesses at the scene but if you saw what happened and have yet to speak to us, please call."

Anyone with information can contact police on 101 quoting log reference 1160 of April 8.