When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley grandad developed cancer after exposure to deadly asbestos
A BURNLEY grandad died from cancer caused by asbestos, an inquest heard.
Trevor Bradley, 64, a former plumber and heating engineer, who was a well known face in the Northern Soul scene, developed lung cancer and died in August.
The cancer eventually spread to his liver, lymph nodes and adrenal glands, Blackburn Coroner’s Court heard.
Consultant pathologist Dr Naveed carried out the postmortem on Mr Bradley at Royal Blackburn Hospital. In a statement she said that an asbestos particle was found in his lungs.
East Lancashire coroner Michael Singleton said: “Sadly 30 to 40 years ago asbestos was not seen as a risk. But now we see these cases are quite common. Why on earth that was allowed to happen I don’t know; the disease is a ticking time bomb.”
The inquest heard that Mr Bradley had worked with asbestos during his time at Burnley-based firm Mullen and Durkin, which has now dissolved.
Deaths from mesothelioma are a legacy of past exposure to asbestos, which was used for insulating buildings.
Popular Trevor worked at Ferguson Engineering in Nelson for 20 years.
In September, music legend Chris Farlowe, sang at a charity event for the father-of-five.
Mr Bradley’s wife of 26 years, Irene, said: “He had always been so well and never ill during the time we were married. I know now what caused his death and it has given us some piece of mind.”
He also leaves his five children Natalie, Daniel, Jon, Scott and Paul and four grandchildren Amelia, Ava, Grayson and Frazer.