When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Earby knife-raid teen walks free from court
2:09pm Tuesday 9th October 2012 in News
A TEENAGER who brought terror to a house in Earby when he turned up with a large bread knife was given a chance by a judge.
Burnley Crown Court heard how the 16 -year -old claimed he had been told the occupants of the property had been drug dealing, but he was wrong and they were innocent.
The teen, who cannot be named and who had never broken the law before, walked free from court after spending the lunchtime locked up in the cells.
Judge Beverley Lunt gave him a three-year youth rehabilitation order, after he admitted aggravated burglary.
Sarah Statham, prosecuting, said three people were in the lounge of the house on Shuttleworth Street on July 22 and three children were upstairs.
There was a knock at the door and the defendant appeared in the living room, brandishing a large bread knife. He pointed the knife, holding it close to a man’s chest and said: “Give me the money.”
Mark Stuart, for the teenager, said he had done well at school.