When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Pendle arson suspect, 13, is arrested
2:30pm Tuesday 25th September 2012 in News
A 13-YEAR-OLD boy was arrested on suspicion of arson yesterday after a disused warehouse in Nelson was set alight.
Fifteen houses had to be evacuated on Sunday night after fire crews were called to the former Walter Lambert and Son site, in Colbran Street, for the second time in six months.
Fire crews used six appliances and the aerial platform ladder to tackle the fire, which started at 8.20pm. Leeds Road was also closed while the fire was put out.
Watch manager Ed Hargreaves said: “The building was well alight on our arrival. There was a row of terrace houses adjacent to the fire and these were evacuated in the early stages.
“When we knew the fire was contained, these residents were allowed to return to their homes.
“Initially two crews attended and got to work putting the fire out, but extra resources were requested from Blackburn and Burnley, and the aerial ladder from Hyndburn."
Youths were reported acting suspiciously nearby during the weekend before the fire broke out.
Alex Fawcett, 58, owner of Ted’s Autos, said: “I’ve seen a number of kids hanging out at the site recently. On Saturday myself and the owner of another business called the police twice saying that children had broken a padlock to gain access and were playing around with coffins and throwing stones.
“Kids were there again on Sunday, and then we heard that it had been set on fire. It’s very frustrating as the smoke has left dirt all over my customers’ cars.
“Some have actually been damaged by debris that landed on them.”
A police spokesman said: “We were called out to the former Walter Lambert and Son site on Saturday twice after receiving calls about children breaking in.
“Fifteen houses were evacuated on Sunday from 8.20pm until 9.45pm.
“A thirteen-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of arson and is currently in police custody.”
Walter Lambert and Son, who were forced to move out of the building after a fire in March, said they had no plans to move back to the site.