When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Ramsbottom school closed
2:59pm Monday 24th September 2012 in News
A RAMSBOTTOM school was evacuated earlier today after teachers detected a burning smell in a classroom.
Pupils at Woodhey High School were sent home after an electrical fault in the roof of a technology building caused eight rooms to be cordoned off.
Headteacher Martin Braidley said the process was ‘very orderly’ and praised firefighters for their quick response.
He said: “With large areas of the school cordoned off and 1,000 wet teenagers gathered in the sports hall for more than an hour. We took the decision to send pupils home.
“The kitchen shuts down automatically during fire drills so we wouldn’t have been able to offer lunch the children either.”
Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to detect the cause of the smell at around 1pm.
The school intends to open as normal tomorrow (Tuesday).