When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Second bid to build Darwen homes
12:00pm Monday 24th September 2012 in News
CONTROVERSIAL plans for 133 new homes that were thrown out by the planning department last year are to be resubmitted this week.
The plans to develop land between Pole Lane and Spring Meadows were refused by Blackburn with Darwen’s planning committee in January last year.
Developers Ruttle Plant Holdings appealed to the Planning Inspectorate in October but the council’s decision was upheld.
But a year on the developers are back for another go.
Paul Sedgwick, of Sedgwick Associates, which is representing the developer, said the build would fit in with the council’s ‘core strategy’ for development.
He said: “The council’s core strategy requires 625 new homes a year. So far they are about 600 short of that. There will also be 20 per cent affordable homes.”
Mr Sedgwick said this sort of development was required under Government policy.
He said: “The Government said it needed house building to aid economic recovery. This should be seen as a positive contribution.”
In response to criticisms over building on a greenfield site instead of brownfield, Mr Sedgwick said there was no demand for brownfield builds.
He said: “The trouble with brownfield is it is not where people want to build as it isn’t where people are looking to buy houses.
“At the moment, the only people who can afford homes or mortgages are those moving up the property ladder. This is good as they free up houses for people lower down the ladder.”
Marsh House town councillor Simon Huggill said he was still opposed to the plans.
He said: “I can’t see anything has changed. It shows a disregard for residents and the Planning Inspectorate. I am a great believer in the sustaining of our countryside.”
Comments are closed on this article.