When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Darwen teenager dumped caravan
3:30pm Wednesday 29th August 2012 in News
A DARWEN teenager 'fly-tipped' a caravan on waste land close to his home.
But after Anthony Duckworth was told not to move the rubbish-filled unit because it might cause further problems he did the exact opposite and cleared the site.
Duckworth, 19, of Kay Street, Darwen, pleaded guilty to depositing controlled waste without authority. He was given a conditional discharge for 12 months and ordered to pay £150 costs.
Lisa McCann, prosecuting, said the shell of the caravan had been dumped on land off Kay Street minus the chassis and wheels. The windows were broken and the shell had been filled with rubbish.
Miss McCann said inquiries were made locally and Duckworth was identified as being responsible.
“He said he was going to do it up but ran out of money,” said Miss McCann.
“He was told not to move it as it might cause more problems and the council would deal with it. Despite that the caravan was broken down and removed.”
Jonathan Taylor, defending, said Duckworth had bought the caravan off eBay and had not realised the size of the task of making it roadworthy.
“As soon as it became apparent the job would be too much for him he decided the best thing was to break it up and sell it bit by bit,” said Mr Taylor.
“I don’t think he applied his mind to the type of nuisance it could cause.”