When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley man’s body found eaten by his dogs
TWO pet dogs ravaged their owner's body while he lay dead for two months, a coroner's court was told.
A coroner recorded an open verdict into the death of Neil Blackmore, 47, after hearing it was difficult to conduct a proper post-mortem examination.
The body of Mr Blackmore was found by his landlord beside a settee in the living room in the house in Harold Street, Burnley.
Consultant pathologist Dr Abdul Al-Daoud told the coroner's court that so little remained of Mr Blackmore a proper post-mortem examination could not be carried out.
Later it was confirmed it was because Mr Blackmore's dogs had ravaged the body.
The doctor managed to obtain a small sample of tissue to conduct toxicology tests, which showed that there was a relatively high level of methadone in his system.
“This on balance has to be the most likely cause of death,” added Dr Al-Daoud.
The court heard that landlord Harry Terefenco knew that his tenant, who ‘liked a drink’ and occasionally used illegal drugs, had not been seen for some time.
In a statement he said that he visited the property on April 17 and found there was a key in the front door and he could hear dogs barking.
But when he went around to the back door it was open and he discovered the body, before alerting police.
Recording an open verdict, East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor said: “We cannot determine any illness he may or may not have had.
“There was alcohol in his system, there was methadone but we do not know if this was a a dose which he would normally be able to tolerate.
“Because of the state of the body it appears to me that the only appropriate verdict I can return is an open verdict because we do not have enough evidence to examine.”
Neighbours told the Lancashire Telegraph, when his death was first reported in April, that Mr Blackmore would often be seen walking his two dogs around the block.
His local butcher had pinned a note to this door as he had not been seen for some time by friends.
The inquest heard that before his death Mr Blackmore had complained of feeling unwell when visiting a nearby grocers.