When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Accrington man jailed for having sex with 14-year-old
12:00pm Monday 18th June 2012 in News
A 30-YEAR-OLD man who had repeated sex sessions with a teenage girl has been locked up for five years.
Vincent Timmins had inter-course with the 14-year-old until someone got suspicious and raised the alarm.
Police served a Child Abduction Notice on him, but he ignored it and carried on having sex with the girl, Burnley Crown Court was told.
The defendant, of no fixed address, but who is from the Accrington area, admitted eight counts of sexual activity with a child and two of child abduction.
He was banned from working with children, placed on the sex offenders' register indefinitely and given a 10 year sexual off=ences prevention order.
Timmins is not allowed to have unsupervised contact or communication with any child under 16 and should not allow any child under 16 into his home. The order does not include his own children.
The defendant was also given a restraining order, prohibiting him from contacting the girl, directly or indirectly.
Timmins has been in custody for 15 months, after being recalled on licence from a 27 month prison term for importing drugs.
Martine Snowden, prosecuting, said police spoke to the girl and she denied anything had taken place. A Child Abduction Notice was served on Timmins, banning him from contact with the girl.
The prosecutor said: “She says there were so many occasions they had sexual intercourse, she can’t remember how many there had been.”
Miss Snowden said the girl claimed Timmins told her she would be sent to a young off-enders' institution and would not see her family again if she told the truth about what had gone on.
When Timmins was questioned by police, he denied anything sexual had happened and alleged the girl had had a crush on him.
The hearing was told the girl needed counselling, her ach-ievements at school had been adversely affected, she had had nightmares and was worried about when the defendant was released from prison.
Hilary Manley, defending, said he accepted he was the one to blame.
Judge Jonathan Gibson said Timmins had continued to have sex with the girl despite being served with the Child Abduction Notice.
He said: “That is a serious aggravating feature of the case.”