Burnley named as burglary capital of England

CRIME FEAR: A  ‘Watch’ sticker in St Matthew Street, Burnley, aimed at warning off burglars

CRIME FEAR: A ‘Watch’ sticker in St Matthew Street, Burnley, aimed at warning off burglars

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by

SHOCK new figures have revealed Burnley as the burglary capital of England and Wales.

The statistics from the Home Office’s new Crime Mapping system, show the borough had more burglaries per head of population than any other town or city.

The figures revealed there had been 2,154 break-ins between April 2008 and 2009, a rate of 24.6 per 1,000 people.

The next worst areas were Manchester, with 23.7 per 1,000 and Nottingham, 22.3, while Ribble Valley was the 10th safest area nationally with 3.9 per 1,000.

In Blackburn with Darwen the statistics were less than half of Burnley’s, with 10.2 burglaries per 1,000, while the figures for the rest of East Lancashire were Hyndburn 7.5, Pendle 11 and Rossendale 8.5.

Senior officers said that while the statistics could not be disputed, the situation had improved since April thanks to a number of hard hitting operations.

They blamed the burglary problem on high unemployment and drugs problems in the town.

Chief Inspector Jon Bullas said: “There is a fantastic amount of work going on with the Community Safety Partnership just around crime in general, and in particular burglaries.

“We recognise the impact they can have on people.”

From April last year to February 1, there had been 1,399 burglaries, which suggests the number of crimes are falling, an average of 139 a month compared to 179 the previous year.

Mr Bullas said: “These figures include non-domestic burglaries, such as sheds, garages and offices and the majority of burglaries are not committed at people’s houses.”

He said a number of initiatives and operations, including monitoring repeat offenders and making vulnerable homes safer by fitting crime prevention devices, were being carried out to tackle burglaries.

Mr Bullas said: “We are confident we are going the right way.”

Coun Charlie Briggs, chairman of the Community Safety Partnership, said: “There will be links between burglaries and drug addicts.

“They have to get their fix somehow and where else are they going to get money from other than break ins.

“We are continually working to get drugs down, the police had quite a successful operation recently to get drug dealers off the street.”

Council leader Coun Gordon Birtwistle said: “Of course this worries me, it has to be a concern for everybody.

“The fact that a lot of people are being put out of work could be a reason, generally when unemployment goes up crime goes up.”

Glyn Morgan, Victim Support’s regional manager for the North West, said: “Being burgled is a horrible experience for most people, not only because of the theft involved, and the loss of personal items, but the sense of invasion of what should be a safe, private space.”

The figures also revealed the town ranked eighth in England and Wales for criminal damage, with 2,668 crimes, and 17th for all crime, with 11,653 offences committed.

>> YOUR VIEWS ON BREAK-IN FIGURES

PETE ROSE, 46, a care worker, of Burnley Wood, said: “We live in one of the roughest areas but, apart from having a motorbike nicked, we’ve never been burgled. A lot of people are unemployed and on benefits.”

KATIE DELANEY, 24, a sales assistant, of Ightenhill, said: “There are not enough jobs in town, which is why it is so bad. I think it is definitely worse in certain areas though.”

LUAN SCHOFIELD-COLE, 36, a housewife, of Harle Syke, said: “I’ve never been affected myself, but it is worrying. If burglars want to get into a house, then they almost certainly will.”

SONNY RUSHTON, 19, a British Heart Foundation volunteer, of Rossendale Road, said: “It’s mostly the unemployed. The other night we were being eyed up by a suspicious-looking group. It can be scary.”

GEMMA MASSON, 18, a postwoman, of Liverpool Road, said: “It doesn’t come as a surprise and it’s a very big problem. A lot of it is down to the drug addicts and homeless people.”

DAVE SCHOFIELD, 61, a travel agent, of Harle Syke, said: “We’ve not really suffered as we live in quite a decent area. It’s concentrated in certain areas. I think drug addicts are a big part of the problem.”

RENEE RUTH, 76, retired, of Coal Clough Lane, said: “I wouldn’t feel safe if I lived on my own now. It comes as no surprise the figures are so high. It is very concerning for people in Burnley.”

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:12am Fri 5 Feb 10

akon says...

How can this be?
Crime as dropped under this LIEBOUR government ?
How embarrassing for the secretary of state for justice ,on his own doorstep!!
How can this be? Crime as dropped under this LIEBOUR government ? How embarrassing for the secretary of state for justice ,on his own doorstep!! akon
  • Score: 0

10:15am Fri 5 Feb 10

Markr says...

What do you expect with and inept police force who respon days afte you call them and dont want to know unless the crime is happening there and then, you ring to say someones acting suspiciously and they say "Go and ask them what they ae up to" well thats what we pay them for, that was said to a finds mum when she had 2 blokes hanging around her house and she was alone.
Then if the police do get off their fat lazy bums and arrest them the courts just give them a slap on the wrist, if some one steals or damages something they should have to pay the full amount back even if it takes them all their lives to do it, take thei goods and stop their benefits.
Terrible justice system in iwhat is rapidly becoming a lawless society.
What do you expect with and inept police force who respon days afte you call them and dont want to know unless the crime is happening there and then, you ring to say someones acting suspiciously and they say "Go and ask them what they ae up to" well thats what we pay them for, that was said to a finds mum when she had 2 blokes hanging around her house and she was alone. Then if the police do get off their fat lazy bums and arrest them the courts just give them a slap on the wrist, if some one steals or damages something they should have to pay the full amount back even if it takes them all their lives to do it, take thei goods and stop their benefits. Terrible justice system in iwhat is rapidly becoming a lawless society. Markr
  • Score: 0

10:45am Fri 5 Feb 10

puzzle bob says...

How can anyone steal from their own families?
How can anyone steal from their own families? puzzle bob
  • Score: 0

11:04am Fri 5 Feb 10

Billypieman says...

You're just a town full of burglars. Town full of burglars.
Latest news: Turf Moor trophy room burgled. Police looking for an empty glass cabinet and a roll of carpet.
You're just a town full of burglars. Town full of burglars. Latest news: Turf Moor trophy room burgled. Police looking for an empty glass cabinet and a roll of carpet. Billypieman
  • Score: 0

12:28pm Fri 5 Feb 10

Old Timer says...

Like all other towns in the past Burnley had its own Borough Force patrolling in areas within the town boundary. What do you expect under a larger authority such as LCC
in control. I wonder what pritty Kitty Kitty has to say about this? A **** shame I call it that a town is known now for such a disgraceful record and
like all other Lancashire towns were respected for their police forces befor e amalgamation.
Like all other towns in the past Burnley had its own Borough Force patrolling in areas within the town boundary. What do you expect under a larger authority such as LCC in control. I wonder what pritty Kitty Kitty has to say about this? A **** shame I call it that a town is known now for such a disgraceful record and like all other Lancashire towns were respected for their police forces befor e amalgamation. Old Timer
  • Score: 0

12:43pm Fri 5 Feb 10

MargretofBurnley says...

All this under a Lib/Dem run council hope people remember this come election time.
All this under a Lib/Dem run council hope people remember this come election time. MargretofBurnley
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Fri 5 Feb 10

suttydog says...

cant be true football club cant even steal 3pts but bolton did steal their manager tho
cant be true football club cant even steal 3pts but bolton did steal their manager tho suttydog
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Fri 5 Feb 10

rammyrover says...

You've just got to laugh!!
I think you have just inherited a football chant!!

Sing when your stealing. You only sing when your stealing, sing when your stealing!! lmao
You've just got to laugh!! I think you have just inherited a football chant!! Sing when your stealing. You only sing when your stealing, sing when your stealing!! lmao rammyrover
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Fri 5 Feb 10

Stone Island says...

Didn't think there was anything worth burgling in Burnley.
Didn't think there was anything worth burgling in Burnley. Stone Island
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Fri 5 Feb 10

Inter-Rossiter says...

Maybe jailing the scumbags for lengthly period would make them think twice.

.

Repeated hand slaps like community service are no deterrent.

.

We've been burgled and it lives with you for ever. Three years hard labour, with no chance of parole, should be the absolute minimum for the first time offender. Make jail hard for burglars and they won't wants to go back in a hurry!
Maybe jailing the scumbags for lengthly period would make them think twice. . Repeated hand slaps like community service are no deterrent. . We've been burgled and it lives with you for ever. Three years hard labour, with no chance of parole, should be the absolute minimum for the first time offender. Make jail hard for burglars and they won't wants to go back in a hurry! Inter-Rossiter
  • Score: 0

4:34pm Fri 5 Feb 10

blackburn south says...

Stone Island wrote:
Didn't think there was anything worth burgling in Burnley.
Well, people will leave there knickers out on the washing line over night.
[quote][p][bold]Stone Island[/bold] wrote: Didn't think there was anything worth burgling in Burnley.[/p][/quote]Well, people will leave there knickers out on the washing line over night. blackburn south
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Fri 5 Feb 10

RK says...

Should it not have read 'Buggery Capital of England'?
Should it not have read 'Buggery Capital of England'? RK
  • Score: 0

5:05pm Fri 5 Feb 10

Stone Island says...

Inter-Rossiter wrote:
Maybe jailing the scumbags for lengthly period would make them think twice. . Repeated hand slaps like community service are no deterrent. . We've been burgled and it lives with you for ever. Three years hard labour, with no chance of parole, should be the absolute minimum for the first time offender. Make jail hard for burglars and they won't wants to go back in a hurry!
A Country with no deterrents, is a Country going down the pan.
.
There's never been a better time to be a criminal......
[quote][p][bold]Inter-Rossiter[/bold] wrote: Maybe jailing the scumbags for lengthly period would make them think twice. . Repeated hand slaps like community service are no deterrent. . We've been burgled and it lives with you for ever. Three years hard labour, with no chance of parole, should be the absolute minimum for the first time offender. Make jail hard for burglars and they won't wants to go back in a hurry![/p][/quote]A Country with no deterrents, is a Country going down the pan. . There's never been a better time to be a criminal...... Stone Island
  • Score: 0

7:43pm Fri 5 Feb 10

DaveBurnley says...

MargretofBurnley wrote:
All this under a Lib/Dem run council hope people remember this come election time.
Ah yes, I had forgotten that under the Labour council there were no burglaries. But then NuLab did promise to get tough on crime and the causes of crime.
[quote][p][bold]MargretofBurnley[/bold] wrote: All this under a Lib/Dem run council hope people remember this come election time.[/p][/quote]Ah yes, I had forgotten that under the Labour council there were no burglaries. But then NuLab did promise to get tough on crime and the causes of crime. DaveBurnley
  • Score: 0

8:55pm Fri 5 Feb 10

RAyzer says...

a jaunt by prince charles should throw a smoke screen.....our towns knackered!!!!!!!!!!!
!
a jaunt by prince charles should throw a smoke screen.....our towns knackered!!!!!!!!!!! ! RAyzer
  • Score: 0

8:58pm Fri 5 Feb 10

RAyzer says...

the police are to busy chasing motorists in a silly chaved up BlAck B.M.W to bother with scumy burglars...easy work,and the leniant sentances dished out by the inept judges
the police are to busy chasing motorists in a silly chaved up BlAck B.M.W to bother with scumy burglars...easy work,and the leniant sentances dished out by the inept judges RAyzer
  • Score: 0

9:30pm Fri 5 Feb 10

dadada says...

Kitty usher the council the weak inept lilly livered magistrates and judges and most of all the so called police force should hang there collective heads in shame, the vast majority of decent law abiding folk are having there lives turned upside down by the thieving scum of this town and what happens NOTHING.
Kitty usher the council the weak inept lilly livered magistrates and judges and most of all the so called police force should hang there collective heads in shame, the vast majority of decent law abiding folk are having there lives turned upside down by the thieving scum of this town and what happens NOTHING. dadada
  • Score: 0

10:35pm Fri 5 Feb 10

Lamp it! says...

this country is too soft. the 2 lads at wigan - 3 year banning order. stealing and breaking in - slap on the wrists!
.
even if they were put in prison they would get better fed and some would have better facilities than kids at school! get them doing tough jobs for 10 hours a day and cut the perks - bloody stupid interfering brussels gits won't allow it, niether won't 'liberty' and the bloody do-gooders! sod them - do what the majority want! bloody PC brigade - i'd lock them up too!
this country is too soft. the 2 lads at wigan - 3 year banning order. stealing and breaking in - slap on the wrists! . even if they were put in prison they would get better fed and some would have better facilities than kids at school! get them doing tough jobs for 10 hours a day and cut the perks - bloody stupid interfering brussels gits won't allow it, niether won't 'liberty' and the bloody do-gooders! sod them - do what the majority want! bloody PC brigade - i'd lock them up too! Lamp it!
  • Score: 0

10:59pm Fri 5 Feb 10

disgusted tunbridge wells says...

As Burnley Crown Court release them day after day this is hardly news and then you have the organised gangs who come in from Manchester to steal mangles and tin baths
As Burnley Crown Court release them day after day this is hardly news and then you have the organised gangs who come in from Manchester to steal mangles and tin baths disgusted tunbridge wells
  • Score: 0

11:02pm Fri 5 Feb 10

Lamp it! says...

and before people come on and say 'we need to get to the cause of the problem in society...' i was unemployed and got my dole. i never once went stealing and taking other peoples things! i know loads of people who 'sponge' as a living and they are happy with their lot. if the unemployed want more out of life - get of your arse and get a bloody job! or get to bloody college - it's free!
and before people come on and say 'we need to get to the cause of the problem in society...' i was unemployed and got my dole. i never once went stealing and taking other peoples things! i know loads of people who 'sponge' as a living and they are happy with their lot. if the unemployed want more out of life - get of your arse and get a bloody job! or get to bloody college - it's free! Lamp it!
  • Score: 0

9:28am Sat 6 Feb 10

Norman the Wangler says...

youre top of the league!!!

do you get a trophy?
youre top of the league!!! do you get a trophy? Norman the Wangler
  • Score: 0

11:57am Sat 6 Feb 10

dadada says...

I would bet my last penny a good 90% of all burglary is carried out by drug addicts who are stealing to buy drugs from drug dealers and we all know that the vast majority of drug dealers if recent reports are anything to go by are from the pakistani community.
I would bet my last penny a good 90% of all burglary is carried out by drug addicts who are stealing to buy drugs from drug dealers and we all know that the vast majority of drug dealers if recent reports are anything to go by are from the pakistani community. dadada
  • Score: 0

12:02pm Sat 6 Feb 10

Mikeee47 says...

you really are a set of controlled muppets down in that Lancashire evening telegraph aren't you?
Tell me why you removed my post?.
was it because I Yawned?
was it because I mentioned this news was 1st published 6 days ago in the "News of the world" & you latched on to 2nd hand news?
Your a set of controlled pillocks .
Free speech & comments on here it's a joke,
Keep deleting me I'll just keep posting my comments & points of view, do you raelly think you can break me into lying down like the rest of the sheep in this country?
you really are a set of controlled muppets down in that Lancashire evening telegraph aren't you? Tell me why you removed my post?. was it because I Yawned? was it because I mentioned this news was 1st published 6 days ago in the "News of the world" & you latched on to 2nd hand news? Your a set of controlled pillocks . Free speech & comments on here it's a joke, Keep deleting me I'll just keep posting my comments & points of view, do you raelly think you can break me into lying down like the rest of the sheep in this country? Mikeee47
  • Score: 0

3:42pm Sat 6 Feb 10

jakey30 says...

There area round where we are, in Burnley's usually pretty quiet, no burgaries as such. Or so I thought till I saw 2 teenage scroats nicking stuff out of the neighbour's garage, in full view of the road AND while they were in. Hats off to the cops though. They did turn up within 5 minutes - shame the scroats had legged it with the booty.
There area round where we are, in Burnley's usually pretty quiet, no burgaries as such. Or so I thought till I saw 2 teenage scroats nicking stuff out of the neighbour's garage, in full view of the road AND while they were in. Hats off to the cops though. They did turn up within 5 minutes - shame the scroats had legged it with the booty. jakey30
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Sat 6 Feb 10

fatgit says...

I'm sorry, I don't see how the council are to blame. The council don't fund or operate the police force, the Government do. The council don't pass laws, Parliament and the Lords do. The council don't come up with sentencing policy, and so on. All this come from Central Government.

To send criminals to jail, you need prisons - this needs funding from central government.
To catch criminals you need more police on the street, and better policing - this needs more funding and investment from central government.
Magistrates hands are often tied by sentencing rules and guidelines, issued by the government.

If you want to get tough on crime, then the machinery that deals with it needs funding properly, not strangling as is currently happening, and it needs the laws, infrastructure and guidelines in place to back it up.

Things like restorative justice can and do work, but not for everyone, and not for every crime, but the traditional alternatives have to be available too.
I'm sorry, I don't see how the council are to blame. The council don't fund or operate the police force, the Government do. The council don't pass laws, Parliament and the Lords do. The council don't come up with sentencing policy, and so on. All this come from Central Government. To send criminals to jail, you need prisons - this needs funding from central government. To catch criminals you need more police on the street, and better policing - this needs more funding and investment from central government. Magistrates hands are often tied by sentencing rules and guidelines, issued by the government. If you want to get tough on crime, then the machinery that deals with it needs funding properly, not strangling as is currently happening, and it needs the laws, infrastructure and guidelines in place to back it up. Things like restorative justice can and do work, but not for everyone, and not for every crime, but the traditional alternatives have to be available too. fatgit
  • Score: 0

11:19pm Sat 6 Feb 10

footy mad says...

Well I live here in Burnley and think its great!! never had any trouble, greta people, football team and some nice places to live its not all grim ya know!!!
And I hang my undies on the line too!
Well I live here in Burnley and think its great!! never had any trouble, greta people, football team and some nice places to live its not all grim ya know!!! And I hang my undies on the line too! footy mad
  • Score: 0

12:13am Sun 7 Feb 10

BRFCBrabant says...

Finger prints have been found in numerous locations and the suspects appear to have 6 fingered hands, this has lead the police to believe that the suspects live locally!!
Finger prints have been found in numerous locations and the suspects appear to have 6 fingered hands, this has lead the police to believe that the suspects live locally!! BRFCBrabant
  • Score: 0

10:56pm Sun 7 Feb 10

Nad says...

You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable.
Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments.
You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable. Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments. Nad
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Mon 8 Feb 10

bankhall says...

At least they didn't say shock statistics because we all have all known this for years
At least they didn't say shock statistics because we all have all known this for years bankhall
  • Score: 0

9:42pm Mon 8 Feb 10

fullagrit says...

Nad wrote:
You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable. Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments.
If County Council are in charge of Police budgets I would be very worried if I was you.
Go to their website and get to know their faces (based in Preston) Mr Driver and his colleagues are on a mission to save money in any way they can.
I don't get involved with these people normaly but after nearly crashing my car because of their gritting or lack of I went to a meeting they held at the old fire station Rawtenstall.
They are a hard lot who don't seem to care about anything but cutting costs, so all I can say is its gonna get worse.
And before anybody comes on rantting at me.
1 I don't have any faith in any political party
2 I don't vote
3 I don't tell lies
Hard times ahead sorry
[quote][p][bold]Nad[/bold] wrote: You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable. Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments.[/p][/quote]If County Council are in charge of Police budgets I would be very worried if I was you. Go to their website and get to know their faces (based in Preston) Mr Driver and his colleagues are on a mission to save money in any way they can. I don't get involved with these people normaly but after nearly crashing my car because of their gritting or lack of I went to a meeting they held at the old fire station Rawtenstall. They are a hard lot who don't seem to care about anything but cutting costs, so all I can say is its gonna get worse. And before anybody comes on rantting at me. 1 I don't have any faith in any political party 2 I don't vote 3 I don't tell lies Hard times ahead sorry fullagrit
  • Score: 0

10:14pm Mon 8 Feb 10

fullagrit says...

fullagrit wrote:
Nad wrote: You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable. Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments.
If County Council are in charge of Police budgets I would be very worried if I was you. Go to their website and get to know their faces (based in Preston) Mr Driver and his colleagues are on a mission to save money in any way they can. I don't get involved with these people normaly but after nearly crashing my car because of their gritting or lack of I went to a meeting they held at the old fire station Rawtenstall. They are a hard lot who don't seem to care about anything but cutting costs, so all I can say is its gonna get worse. And before anybody comes on rantting at me. 1 I don't have any faith in any political party 2 I don't vote 3 I don't tell lies Hard times ahead sorry
Also at the same meeting they said there would be no more meetings at the old firestation in the future and this would save them several grand.
Just a thought but is it possible that now there is no money in expensives game why should the head of LCC drive all the way from PRESTON????
[quote][p][bold]fullagrit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nad[/bold] wrote: You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable. Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments.[/p][/quote]If County Council are in charge of Police budgets I would be very worried if I was you. Go to their website and get to know their faces (based in Preston) Mr Driver and his colleagues are on a mission to save money in any way they can. I don't get involved with these people normaly but after nearly crashing my car because of their gritting or lack of I went to a meeting they held at the old fire station Rawtenstall. They are a hard lot who don't seem to care about anything but cutting costs, so all I can say is its gonna get worse. And before anybody comes on rantting at me. 1 I don't have any faith in any political party 2 I don't vote 3 I don't tell lies Hard times ahead sorry[/p][/quote]Also at the same meeting they said there would be no more meetings at the old firestation in the future and this would save them several grand. Just a thought but is it possible that now there is no money in expensives game why should the head of LCC drive all the way from PRESTON???? fullagrit
  • Score: 0

10:22pm Mon 8 Feb 10

fullagrit says...

fullagrit wrote:
fullagrit wrote:
Nad wrote: You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable. Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments.
If County Council are in charge of Police budgets I would be very worried if I was you. Go to their website and get to know their faces (based in Preston) Mr Driver and his colleagues are on a mission to save money in any way they can. I don't get involved with these people normaly but after nearly crashing my car because of their gritting or lack of I went to a meeting they held at the old fire station Rawtenstall. They are a hard lot who don't seem to care about anything but cutting costs, so all I can say is its gonna get worse. And before anybody comes on rantting at me. 1 I don't have any faith in any political party 2 I don't vote 3 I don't tell lies Hard times ahead sorry
Also at the same meeting they said there would be no more meetings at the old firestation in the future and this would save them several grand. Just a thought but is it possible that now there is no money in expensives game why should the head of LCC drive all the way from PRESTON????
I have just given myself one hundred lines EXPENSES.
Sorry
[quote][p][bold]fullagrit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fullagrit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nad[/bold] wrote: You're wrong FATGIT...The Police aren't funded by Central Government they are funded by County Councils, and are controlled by police commitees made up of Councillors and lay members. It is they who decide the Budget and by inference the running of the force. They also select the Cheif Constable. Good post though; other than that I agree with your comments.[/p][/quote]If County Council are in charge of Police budgets I would be very worried if I was you. Go to their website and get to know their faces (based in Preston) Mr Driver and his colleagues are on a mission to save money in any way they can. I don't get involved with these people normaly but after nearly crashing my car because of their gritting or lack of I went to a meeting they held at the old fire station Rawtenstall. They are a hard lot who don't seem to care about anything but cutting costs, so all I can say is its gonna get worse. And before anybody comes on rantting at me. 1 I don't have any faith in any political party 2 I don't vote 3 I don't tell lies Hard times ahead sorry[/p][/quote]Also at the same meeting they said there would be no more meetings at the old firestation in the future and this would save them several grand. Just a thought but is it possible that now there is no money in expensives game why should the head of LCC drive all the way from PRESTON????[/p][/quote]I have just given myself one hundred lines EXPENSES. Sorry fullagrit
  • Score: 0

11:34pm Wed 10 Feb 10

working chap says...

Being unemployed or on benefits is no excuse for burglary. Neither is being a drug addict.
Of course when we see thieves with a string of convictions given 'one more chance' or silly lenient sentences then it becomes clearer.
Crime needs to be punished, not 'understood'. persistent offenders should be locked away for years, and if we need more prison places then double them up in their cells. If they don't like it they shouldn't rob us honest, hard-working folk.
Being unemployed or on benefits is no excuse for burglary. Neither is being a drug addict. Of course when we see thieves with a string of convictions given 'one more chance' or silly lenient sentences then it becomes clearer. Crime needs to be punished, not 'understood'. persistent offenders should be locked away for years, and if we need more prison places then double them up in their cells. If they don't like it they shouldn't rob us honest, hard-working folk. working chap
  • Score: 0

12:11am Thu 11 Feb 10

fullagrit says...

working chap wrote:
Being unemployed or on benefits is no excuse for burglary. Neither is being a drug addict. Of course when we see thieves with a string of convictions given 'one more chance' or silly lenient sentences then it becomes clearer. Crime needs to be punished, not 'understood'. persistent offenders should be locked away for years, and if we need more prison places then double them up in their cells. If they don't like it they shouldn't rob us honest, hard-working folk.
Working chap i would return to voting for people like you SPOT ON well put.
[quote][p][bold]working chap[/bold] wrote: Being unemployed or on benefits is no excuse for burglary. Neither is being a drug addict. Of course when we see thieves with a string of convictions given 'one more chance' or silly lenient sentences then it becomes clearer. Crime needs to be punished, not 'understood'. persistent offenders should be locked away for years, and if we need more prison places then double them up in their cells. If they don't like it they shouldn't rob us honest, hard-working folk.[/p][/quote]Working chap i would return to voting for people like you SPOT ON well put. fullagrit
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree