A MEMORIAL concert is being planned for a 20-year-old woman who died after being assaulted in a park.
And Sophie Lancaster's family have vowed to support the tribute to their daughter as they spoke out to express their heartfelt thanks to all three hospitals involved in her care prior to her
The former Haslingden High student, died in Hope Hospital, Salford, on Friday August 24 having never regained consciousness after being attacked in Stubbylee Park, Bacup, early on Saturday, August
She was with her boyfriend Robert Maltby, 21, when they were attacked, possibly because they were wearing goth-style clothing.
Police in Burnley believe there are still some people that have not yet come forward with information about the assault.
In a statement, Sophie's family, said: "As Sophie's family, we have been at her bedside and up to now have been unable to take the opportunity to thank to people.
"Our heartfelt thanks go to all three hospitals who were involved in Sophie's care, Rochdale Infirmary, Fairfield and in particular the Neurology Department at Hope Hospital, Salford.
"The care she received from the doctors and nurses could not have been bettered. They treated her with the kindness and dignity she deserved.
"We would also like to thank all of Sophie's friends, who along with our family and friends took the time to visit us at the hospital.
"This support meant a great deal to us during this very stressful time."
The statement said that the family had been approached by Sophie's friends who wanting to commemorate her "uniqueness" with a memorial concert.
"They want to work with the community to achieve this and we will give them every support we can", it continued.
"We are also aware of comments regarding the work being undertaken by the police.
"We would like to assure people that they are doing all they can to collect information and evidence to enable them to bring successful prosecutions of the perpetrators of this most devastating of
"We have every faith that they will bring them to justice in due course."
The man leading the investigation, Detective Inspector Dean Holden said: "We are still appealing for witnesses to the assaults to come forward.
"We believe there was up to 15 people in the vicinity at the time of the attacks and we would very much like to speak to every single one of those witnesses."
Five youths aged 15 to 17 have been charged with wounding with intent in connection with the incident.
Anyone with any information should contact Rawtenstall CID on 01706 237443 or Crimestoppers on 0800-555-111.