A PLAN to convert a Grade II-listed pub into eight apartments has been objected to by a group of residents.
A petition calling for Burnley Council to throw out the plan for the former Duke of York pub in Colne Road was signed by 24 people.
The application, which also includes the creation of two commercial units, is set to be debated by members of the authority's development committee on Thursday, April 27.
It has been recommended for approval by planning officers.
In recent years the pub, which has been closed for some time, has been used by cannabis growers and it was also targeted during the 2001 Burnley riots when it was firebombed.
A spokesman for the applicant, in a statement to the council when the plan was submitted earlier this year, set out why he thought it should be given the go-ahead.
He said: "The site is vacant and has not attracted any interest to establish its current use even though it is situated close to public transport and is located in a residential area.
“Therefore the current owners are looking to redevelop the site, converting it into two commercial units on the ground floor and eight self-contained flats on the first and second floors.
“End users for the commercial units have not been identified yet so the nature of the commercial use cannot be confirmed.
“The intended use brings this prominent listed building back into a sustainable use with the minimum impact upon its appearance and surrounding users.”
The applicant said in the statement that as there is no car parking at the property and parking would be on roads in the surrounding residential area.
In 2012 a similar plan to convert the pub into eight apartments and two retail units was granted by the council.
In a document to be given to the council's development committee, a spokesman for the authority said: "The building had been used as a public house for many years but the business deteriorated over the last decade and it suffered damage."