A MAN who fled civil war in Haiti to live in East Lancashire has been hounded out of his new home by racist, homophobic yobs.

Alex Juin, 27, from Haslingden, was repeatedly targeted and terrorised over his "colour and sexuality" by a gang who wanted him out of town, a court was told.

Burnley magistrates heard how Mr Juin, who works in Asda Accrington was abused, taunted and humiliated, his hair was pulled, his car was attacked and he was threatened he would be stabbed by the five.

At court one of the gang, Basha Ullah, 21, of Pine Street, Haslingden, was told that he could go to jail after admitting racially aggravated abuse and racially aggravated disorderly behaviour.

A 17-year-old from Haslingden, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to racially aggravated assault and disorderly behaviour.

Both will be sentenced at a later date.

Speaking after the case, Mr Juin said: "I have had enough. I feel like I can't even go outside anymore because the abuse is so bad.

"These people are just idiots and they are making my life a misery."

He said that along with his partner, Bishop Philip Norris, he has now decided to move away from his home in Deardengate, Haslingden, to a new home outside the region. Bishop Philip, who is the ASDA Accrington store chaplain, said: "Alex is a man who fled Haiti for a better life and all he has found is constant abuse.

"The level of racism he has faced here has been shocking."

Alex was brought to England by Bishop Philip, a Free Church Bishop in Haiti, three years ago.

Sophie Lorimer, prosecuting, told the court Mr Juin was waiting at a bus stop on March 30 when he was approached by the five men. She said the gang started shouting that he was "gay" and "black" and told him - "We don't want your sort around here. It's time you got out of Haslingden."

The 17-year-old then pulled Mr Juin's hair extensions and pushed the back of his head.

Mrs Lorimer said on April 15 Mr Juin and Mr Norris stopped at a garage when a car, carrying two of the men involved in the earlier trouble, pulled on to the forecourt. Mr Juin was again abused.

They drove off and as the couple stopped at traffic lights at the junction of Manchester Road and Deardengate, two men who had been shouting from the car came around the corner, approached their vehicle and one tried to get in the victim's car.

Gillian Kennaugh, defending, said Ullah did not accept the full prosecution facts. The defendant accepted the incidents were painful for the victim.